Problems with feature-h264-videostorage and 1.30

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
nick2253

Problems with feature-h264-videostorage and 1.30

Post by nick2253 »

I'm almost 100% certain that this is a PEBKAC moment, but I'm stumped.

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 with the ppa:iconner/zoneminder-feature-h265-videostorage ZoneMinder installed. I have it "working" in the sense that I can access the web GUI, I can add a monitor, and I can view the feed from the monitor. However I'm getting a number of errors. In addition, I'm still creating jpgs for events, and I'm pretty sure video is not being created for events. I'm guessing there is some setting that I did not set, but I can't find anything.

The following are the errors I'm getting:

Code: Select all

SQL-ERR 'SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'as Id from Events as E inner join Monitors as M on E.MonitorId = M.Id where 'E.S' at line 1', statement was 'select E.* as Id from Events as E inner join Monitors as M on E.MonitorId = M.Id where 'E.StartTime' <= '2016-07-22 12:59:11' order by E.StartTime desc'
in /usr/share/zoneminder/www/includes/database.php

Code: Select all

TypeError: e[c] is undefined
in http://192.168.7.36/zm/tools/mootools/mootools-more.js
asker

Re: Problems with feature-h264-videostorage and 1.30

Post by asker »

a) If its a h264-video-branch issue, that branch is still experimental and not part of 1.30
b) This may not actually be a video-branch issue. See viewtopic.php?t=24541 for similar issues

I have no idea of feature-h264 as I don't use it. Just seems that your error may be sql related instead.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
nick2253

Post by nick2253 »

I agree that I may have two different issues here. The biggest one, for me right now, is trying to figure out why I'm not getting video recording. The second issue(s) don't actually seem to be issues, in the sense that they don't seem to be causing any problems.

Looking back on my post, I probably should have been more detailed about my setup:

This is not my first ZoneMinder setup. I currently have four different ZoneMinder servers setup and working with 1.29. However, for one server, the storage space from the jpegs is horrendous. I'm going through close to 100GB/hr of storage space with all their cameras, and am desperately trying to reduce that. I was hoping I could get the pass-through h264 working, because I've seen reports here that it drastically lowers hard drive use (especially for always-on recording), but I haven't had any luck so far.

My OS of choice is CentOS, so I built a CentOS package using the github source for feature-h264, but I couldn't get the record-to-video to work there. Assuming it was something I did, I went ahead and spun up an Ubuntu 16.04 VM to see if it worked better with Ubuntu. Unfortunately, that hasn't worked either, and now I'm stuck.
SteveGilvarry

Post by SteveGilvarry »

Assuming you resolve that db issue.
That snapshot has issues, branch itself is working currently, but you will have to build a package. Details here http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/lat ... rom-source
Step 3 swap the branch on the end of the command from master or stable to feature-h264-videostorage.

If you want to encode a non h264 camera need mp4v2 and x264 installed before you build the package.

Jump on irc, I am around a bit mainly mornings US time, and a couple of others on the h264 branch on there.
Production Zoneminder 1.37.x (Living dangerously)
Random Selection of Cameras (Dahua and Hikvision)
nick2253

Post by nick2253 »

Thank you Steve. Building it from source for Ubuntu finally got it working for me. In testing, I'm already seeing a huge decrease in the storage space for always-on recording.