zoneminder start on boot

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
foxtroop11

zoneminder start on boot

Post by foxtroop11 »

I've been doing some reading over the last couple days and have noticed several references for starting up zoneminder on older Distro's. I've seen mention of this S99 file in rcd.2 and also mention of a zm file in /etc/init.d/. If anyone could advise me on the proper way to do this with the newer 1.24 I would be very grateful. I have very limited knowledge on Linux but have so far got 3 different cams working on this new 1.24, one cam is the Logitech 5000 and I used that mpeg streamer program. All are working flawless. I'm just finding my self playing catch up on everything zoneminder has to offer.

I found out it doesn't automatically start after something strange happened with zoneminder. One minuted I could get to the zm directory and the next Firefox just kept loading and loading trying to get to localhost/zm so I just rebooted the machine.
cordel

Post by cordel »

At the moment, this version of ZM only includes the start script that works for Fedora/RedHat EL located in the scripts directory as "zm". If you don't have either of these distros, search the forum and wiki for the distro you have as I'm fairly sure someone has likely created one for the distro you have.
foxtroop11

Post by foxtroop11 »

Ok, will do. I just thought it would have been under 1.24 section. I'm afraid to use something not specific to this version as I don't want to mess things up. I've found several links, like this one, (would this work for 1.24 and 8.04?)

http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Debian_init.d

But I thought I read else where about putting it in some S99 file so it starts up and shutdowns last and first, for a clean run.

I even got my Linksys nslu2 flashed with this special version of openwrt and zoneminder is connected to the logitech 5000 cam plugged into it. This stuff is great, I'm all about the modding stuff, but when it comes to some of the basic Linux stuff i'm alittle behind.

edit: I guess it won't hurt anything to just try it out, just unsure how to undue this command if it doesn't work "update-rc.d zm defaults" or if it's even a problem.
foxtroop11

Post by foxtroop11 »

Any help would be grateful, been doing as much research as possible.

I've came to this conclusion since I see no mention of kubuntu 8.04 and zoneminder 1.24,

The above link on how to edit the zm file for boot on debian, combined with this link
http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewt ... ee84298f16

on how to make shortcuts to the S99 and K99 should work? Just want to make this as stable as possible. Has anyone found any downfalls on 1.24 for a somewhat production use? I've had my system on for days now with no hiccup, but just want to make sure if the system reboots zoneminder will start on it's own and reconnect to the camera's.
foxtroop11

Post by foxtroop11 »

I feel like I'm just talking to myself here, especially after almost 100 people looked at this post. Anyway, I went ahead and modified the script zm that way it shows for Debian. I've did the command via ssh and minus two errors, which I didn't capture yet, everything appears to start and work fine.
nuck

Post by nuck »

foxtroop11 wrote:I feel like I'm just talking to myself here, especially after almost 100 people looked at this post. Anyway, I went ahead and modified the script zm that way it shows for Debian. I've did the command via ssh and minus two errors, which I didn't capture yet, everything appears to start and work fine.
So all is good then. Happy days!! (just so you don't feel lonely)