sound driven events?

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
mangoo

sound driven events?

Post by mangoo »

If I have an IP camera or USB camera which also records audio - is it possible to trigger the recording when the noise exceeds certain value (even though nothing moves on the video)?

Can ZM record audio?
cordel

Post by cordel »

Sorry no audio at present.
Regards,
Cordel
mangoo

Post by mangoo »

Would it be hard to add audio?

Would ZoneMinder engine need to be redesigned?
cordel

Post by cordel »

Zoneminder saves the events to jpg files. jpeg does not support sound.
mangoo

Post by mangoo »

> jpeg does not support sound

oh, doesn't it? :)

So ZoneMinder writes the stream to many jpeg files.
That's fine, I don't see why it should prevent from recording audio? (by an external application; triggered when "alert" is on etc.?)
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Audio support is under development and is probably going to be available in a couple of releases. However to start with it's likely to be fairly basic.

Phil
cordel

Post by cordel »

:shock:
On the way to the store for some more high gain and prabolic mics.
Good show
Mr.Ed

Post by Mr.Ed »

Hi there,

I am becomming a great fan for the Zoneminder effort. I have it sort of "up and running" on FC3 and at first it looked very impressive. However, i'm still struggling with two main issues. One is a thing aparently more users have come across, and that is the spontanious freezing of monitored camera's in montage, and sometimes not showing anything at all. But i won't address that in this post. (still reading a lot here, to get informed).

To stay on topic, i was wondering if ZM supports having sound being transmitted along with the MPEG stream. I searched the whole ZM website and i didn't find a straight clue stating that audio is being transmitted / recorded as well.

I'm a bit puzzled here anyway... Is this thread about having alarms being heard on the server side, or having sound transmitted "worldwide" along with the MPEG which both come from the camera? :)

The reason for this is that i am trying to use ZM in displaying streaming video (with audio) of nesting birds in my back yard. I am a bit less interested in alarms. My birds move all the time :D though i could combine the birds with a bit more security around the house.

I am going to donate a certain sum IF mentioned issues can be resolved. I am very impressed with ZM sofar...

Best regards,
Ed.
p.s. The dutch translation of ZM has some severe flaws in it, sorry to say...
A Horse is a Horse, of course of course...
Hw:P4SDX(P4/2.4GHz)+1Gb RAM+160Mb SATA Hdd+4xHaupp.WinTV-Radio (BT878)+1xPV153+1xPCVC840K (All PAL)
Sw: FC3 (2.6.9-1.667) + KDE + ZM-1.20.1 (Yum) + Mozilla Firefox
cordel

Post by cordel »

To answer your questions:
Present versions of zm do not add recorded audio to the stream or on the hard drive.
Per Phils post above a couple versions down the road may have this ability :D
For your other issue of freezing and not showing if your using mozzila or Firefox see this thread.
http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... wser+cache
It may help you out.

The translation we could always use help on and if you should decide to the files are in the web directory with a prefix of zm_lang_*.php. This area we can use as much help as possible.
Regards,
Cordel
Mr.Ed

Post by Mr.Ed »

Cordel,

I think i have found the source of my problems mentioned earlyer. I do not find them logical but for some reason it works flawlessly right now (fingers crossed and holding my breath). :P

First issue: I had two versions of Hauppauge WinTV card in my system. One with the well known BT878, the other (brand new) with it's successor CX2388. I never got the CX2388 to work :( , allthough i think i have the appropriate driver for it. I have another computer downstairs with yet another older Hauppauge WinTV card, so i swapped my modern version with the older one. The one downstairs only runs Windows, so i dont expect too many problems with the new chip there :roll: . So: my FC3 machine now has two BT878 cards. :wink:

Secondly: The maximum framerate of my camera's was not set, so it seemed that it tried to get more than maximum speed, which resulted in flashing picture/black/picture/black... Now i have set maximum FPS to 20 and two cards are running nicely. I hope that other people on this Forum can use this information.

About audio: I put that in first place on my wish list. I definately will stick around waiting for an update regarding audio.

If i can find the time, i would be willing to assist with those dutch translations. I can't promise anything but i'll keep it in mind.

Ed.
Hw:P4SDX(P4/2.4GHz)+1Gb RAM+160Mb SATA Hdd+4xHaupp.WinTV-Radio (BT878)+1xPV153+1xPCVC840K (All PAL)
cordel

Post by cordel »

Thankyou Ed,
For posting your solution, I'm sure someone will run into that somewhere down the road.
Good find on that buy the way.
Regards,
Cordel
Mr.Ed

Post by Mr.Ed »

:shock: Oops...

I spoke too soon. I closed my montage screen, tried to reopen again, and it stayed blank again...

Update1: I'm beginning to suspect Windows too for this problem. I closed all open Windows, freshly opened Windows-Explorer and i got running camera's again...

Update2: After some time the problem reoccured. At that time i was working through a Proxy server. So i disabled Proxy in Windows. Restart of Explorer and i got Streaming Video again. Let's hope it stays this time.

Ed.