Linux kernel 2.4.xx vs 2.6.xx

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
dmit

Linux kernel 2.4.xx vs 2.6.xx

Post by dmit »

I have recently discovered that Zone Minder works significally faster on a 2.6.xx kernel then on a 2.4.xx one. Since some distros still use 2.4 kernel as a base I would recommend upgrading to kernel 2.6.xx
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Thanks for the tip. I wonder what it is that is quicker? Do you have any benchmarks?

Phil
dmit

Post by dmit »

I've noticed it by accident, when building my Slackware based system. By default it comes with a 2.4 kernel, and I configured and started ZoneMinder with that default one. Although the PC was an old PIII-733 256 RAM machine it worked OK. Then I started some patching/updating and other cosmetic things and decided to switch to 2.6 kernel. For testing purposes it was compiled with the same configuration options as the 2.4 kernel was. And now when I boot to 2.6 ZoneMinder gives more FPS and analisys process performs better, which is very well seen on such a slow platform. Booting back to 2.4 brings worse results.

Don't have any benchmarks, but if someone needs some - suggest the testing model, I will do it.

I think it has several reasons, related to the new 2.6 architecture: better memory management, better caching and, probably, better bttv driver interface.
asadrasheed

hi

Post by asadrasheed »

hello

I also use slackware , i think there is good support of usb devices in 2.6 kernel and
may be good support for video also.
So i also prefer 2.6 kernel.

Regards,
M Asad Rasheed
sugacapra

me too,

Post by sugacapra »

i use slack 10.1 with kernel 2.6 and me too experience faster than 2.4,
now i've to troubleshoot the kodicom 8800 and after i'll post result
tech_fixer

Post by tech_fixer »

Hi,
To answer Phil's question from waaaay back on Aug. 1 2005...
I wonder what it is that is quicker?
The new kernel series 2.6.X have a much improved memory management mechanism. As ZoneMinder is a memory-intensive application, all monitor buffers are in memory for real-time capture/analysis, then you can see how ZM benefits greatly from this.

Also improvements in CPU handling and a complete overhaul of the hard-disk managing code, make the new kernel breathe new life and squeeze more performance out of older hardware.

It makes a HUGE difference on my laptop, where I used to run RH9 and now I run FC4. Its impressive how it runs faster with a newer version of the OS. That's something you cannot say from Windows. :wink:

Regards,
Jose.