Blurring / hiding faces in ZM?

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
pjlyoko

Blurring / hiding faces in ZM?

Post by pjlyoko »

Hi all,

I'm planning on creating a video surveillance solution for the school where I work. We need to monitor certain classrooms where acts of vandalism have occurred. According to Polish law, surveillance in these classrooms must ensure that individuals captured on camera remain unrecognizable. Therefore, I'm exploring whether it's possible to achieve this using ZoneMinder or other software.

Do you know of any software that can blur faces in recorded videos that I may use with ZoneMinder?

Thanks in advance!
PJ
iconnor

Re: Blurring / hiding faces in ZM?

Post by iconnor »

The technology is out there, but has not been integrated into zoneminder.

To do so requires ai facial recognition, and video re-encoding, which means you will need a pretty good gpu.

What is your budget? This feature will not be cheap from any of the incumbent VMS providers. It may be affordable to pay developers in the ZoneMinder community to develop it and buy a decent gpu to run it on.
pjlyoko

Re: Blurring / hiding faces in ZM?

Post by pjlyoko »

The budget I have might not be excessive, but I'm good enough in programming, using Linux, and improvising solutions, so I might be able to accomplish this. I was wondering if someone has already developed a solution that I could either purchase, replicate, or draw inspiration from. Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to conduct thorough research on the topic, hence why I'm asking here. Additionally, since ZoneMinder is an open-source application, I might consider sharing my solution in the future ;)