Image tearing and other issues

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
danensis

Image tearing and other issues

Post by danensis »

I've finally migrated from an old Mandriva version of ZM to Ubuntu 14.04 with ZM v1.20.2

I'm using the same capture card that I had in the old machine, and all the same settings. The only difference as far as I can see is that the new setup uses V4L2 rather than V4L. However I have three remaining problems - firstly that the cameras only seem to work when set to NTSC, whereas they were set to PAL on the previous system, and they only show B+W images, whereas they were in colour before, but worse than that, the picture is corrupted, and looks to be interlaced, even though I'm restricting the size to 320x240. There is a black bar down the LH side of the picture, and some duplicated lines at the top.

Any bright ideas? The problem is the same on all six of my cameras.
zm sample.jpg
zm sample.jpg (93.73 KiB) Viewed 4893 times
bbunge

Re: Image tearing and other issues

Post by bbunge »

I suspect that your capture card is not fully supported in 14.04. Suggest you search for Zoneminder and your capture card to see what pops up. Try PALB and slow the frame rate down to 5 fps
danensis

Post by danensis »

Sadly that didn't work. The PALB option just gives a scrambled image.
ZM sample 2.jpg
ZM sample 2.jpg (93.09 KiB) Viewed 4884 times
marcopete87

Post by marcopete87 »

danensis wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 4:04 pm the cameras only seem to work when set to NTSC, whereas they were set to PAL on the previous system, and they only show B+W images, whereas they were in colour before, but worse than that, the picture is corrupted, and looks to be interlaced, even though I'm restricting the size to 320x240. There is a black bar down the LH side of the picture, and some duplicated lines at the top.
are you sure your resolution is correct?
When i used webcams, i had a lot of trouble with nonstandard resolutions, images seemed like yours.
If camera is pal, you have to use pal, 720x576 (or 768×576), if i remember correctly.
mastertheknife

Post by mastertheknife »

The image is interlaced by default when using V4L2.
Please select "V4L2: Capture top field only" or "V4L2: Capture bottom field only" in the "Deinterlacing" selection.
Regarding the corruption, what card are you using?
Kfir Itzhak.
danensis

Post by danensis »

I decided to try another capture card, and obtained one that uses the Conexant 8210 chip. I now see full colour images when I use xawtv, but ZoneMinder only captures part of the image, and in very poor quality. I'm beginning to wonder if there is an issue with V4L2 and ZoneMinder?
Attachments
patiojj.jpg
patiojj.jpg (32.04 KiB) Viewed 4778 times
danensis

Post by danensis »

I managed to get the full-size image using PAL and 720 x 576, but I'm still not seeing as good quality on ZM as I see on xawtv