axis video server

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
ynn

axis video server

Post by ynn »

Hi i would like to ask you if the axis video servers (i.e AXIS 240Q and AXIS 241Q/QA ) are compatible with zoneminder? and how about the capture images? which one is better? using directly with axis camera? or analog camera attached to axis video server? did anyone evey try it before? because i try to set it up for my home with about 4 cameras and i look at the price of axis network camera for outdoors are quite expensive, so i am thinking to buy this network server and then attaching it with analog cameras.

thanks in advance.

Mike.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

hi, i have seen one of these connected to a milestone video server and also on the same server some axis ip cameras. The axis video server seems to have an interlace problem at higher resolutions. Not that I know a way around this but with the cost of these servers id expect this not to occur. You might be better of looking at the zm shop and getting one of the capture cards for your composite cams

JAmes
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
boranucleare

Please help me VIDEOSERVER AXIS 240Q not showing any image!

Post by boranucleare »

jameswilson wrote:hi, i have seen one of these connected to a milestone video server and also on the same server some axis ip cameras. The axis video server seems to have an interlace problem at higher resolutions. Not that I know a way around this but with the cost of these servers id expect this not to occur. You might be better of looking at the zm shop and getting one of the capture cards for your composite cams

JAmes
Hi James, i'm in front of an axis 240Q video server...
I can't start it with zonemnder..
The istuation is this:
zoneminder said me it's all ok (Function Mocord and source with GREEN color), but I can't see any image in the camera.
In the past I've seen the same error if there were a resolution mistake, but now I've tried all the different resolutions I can set in the video server setup, so... the zm desn't work!
Please coulf you help me?
Could you kindly introduce me to the one who you're talking about (who is using the video server...)
Thanks a lot....
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

can you put this video server online so i can look at it, I have never used one with zm but cant see why not
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
james

Post by james »

Hello there,

Have tried one AXIS video server 240Q and works great.
4 cams on it with 5fps each.

I will post here soon the complete configuration or mail me if urgent.

cheers,

James A.
maciekc

Post by maciekc »

jameswilson wrote:hi, i have seen one of these connected to a milestone video server and also on the same server some axis ip cameras. The axis video server seems to have an interlace problem at higher resolutions. Not that I know a way around this but with the cost of these servers id expect this not to occur. You might be better of looking at the zm shop and getting one of the capture cards for your composite cams

JAmes
241 has deinterlace filter. I didn't checked, just read the manual. But the price is too high for that.
eledezma

Post by eledezma »

Hi!!

I'm trying to configure an Axis Video Server 240Q with ZM with no success... I keep getting a dialog box that says: "You have chosen to open video.cgi, what should firefox do with this file? Open with... Save to disk..."

I'm working on Debian Linux, and I had configure an Axis cam succesfully few weeks ago. Now, I'm using the same settings with the server just with the difference of the path (I'm using this one to access video, acording with the server info):

Host name: 192.168.1.43
Host Path: /axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?resolution=CIF&camera=1
Width:352
Height:288

I have 4 cams on the server, and I get the image if I use the access directly in the browser, but on ZM I got a broken link with the ZM_STREAM_METHOD param set to jpeg, and a black square with the same param set to mpeg... any idea of the problem?

James, did you publish the settings you used with your server?

Thanx in advance!
Snozz

Post by Snozz »

Eled, I don't know anything about zoneminder, but from what little I know about web servers, it sounds like you don't have CGI enabled. If you attempt to access a cgi file, the web server should serve it to you instead of letting you download the file itself.

Edit: here's a snippet from a totally different piece of web software, but it is almost the same issue:
Browser Prompt to Download Hazel.cgi?

If you're trying to hit your newly uploaded Hazel and your browser prompts you to download it, then your web server doesn't know it's a CGI program. Instead of executing it and displaying the output to your browser, it's just trying to dump the file itself as if it were an image or other data file.

The problem is that you've either uploaded it into the wrong place, or it otherwise needs something done to make the server recognize it as a CGI. If you have a cgi-bin directory, it probably goes there. Setting it executable and giving it the .cgi extension are other indicators, done here by default.

If you're on an NT server, you'll need to ask your administrator where to put your CGI files.
cordel

Post by cordel »

@eledezma
I suspect that this is what you get accessing the cam directly with Firefox as you would not (and should not) see this type of error from the zoneminder console as ZM would store the images in memory and serve it to the browser through zms cgi.

What version of Firefox are you using?
Would you care to allow me access to the cam so I can get you the correct configuration (just PM me the info)?
viko

Post by viko »

eledezma wrote:Hi!!

I'm trying to configure an Axis Video Server 240Q with ZM with no success... I keep getting a dialog box that says: "You have chosen to open video.cgi, what should firefox do with this file? Open with... Save to disk..."

I'm working on Debian Linux, and I had configure an Axis cam succesfully few weeks ago. Now, I'm using the same settings with the server just with the difference of the path (I'm using this one to access video, acording with the server info):

Host name: 192.168.1.43
Host Path: /axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?resolution=CIF&camera=1
Width:352
Height:288

I have 4 cams on the server, and I get the image if I use the access directly in the browser, but on ZM I got a broken link with the ZM_STREAM_METHOD param set to jpeg, and a black square with the same param set to mpeg... any idea of the problem?

James, did you publish the settings you used with your server?

Thanx in advance!
Am doing exactly the same as you and i cannot get the zm to display my picture i have 4 axis cameras running great but this server aint working if someone knows something it would be great thanks
jnarowe

Post by jnarowe »

Sorry to re-open this thread, but I am in quite a pickle. Trying to get ZM to show the feeds from my Axis 240Q server and cannot get it going. I have tried many things and wonder if there isn't some sort of step-by-step by now?

I can easily view the video feeds using IE tapped into the Axis server itself.

Can anyone help me with this?
viko

axis

Post by viko »

jnarowe wrote:Sorry to re-open this thread, but I am in quite a pickle. Trying to get ZM to show the feeds from my Axis 240Q server and cannot get it going. I have tried many things and wonder if there isn't some sort of step-by-step by now?

I can easily view the video feeds using IE tapped into the Axis server itself.

Can anyone help me with this?
Well i did get my 240q to work i just did the steps that one usually does for a regular axis camera sometimes zm gets cranky try to reboot the server to see if that helps, but mine didnt work the first day the second day i did the same thing and it worked right away.
good luck.
jnarowe

Post by jnarowe »

Thank you so much for the quick response!

Care to share those steps? I don't have any Axis cameras, and in fact am just bringing online my old ones through the network before I start adding and replacing them.
viko

Post by viko »

I use the same settings that eledezma used in his post.
Are you using anonymous viewer in the axis server or a username?
If you have that wrong it wont work in zm.
jnarowe

Post by jnarowe »

I think I tried both but can't remember right now. Which one is correct? I am pretty sure I re-did everything to go anonymous but did not get a picture.

He asked James if he published the settings he used, but I don't see an answer. I set mine up like in eledezma's post, but got nothing. You think re-booting the 240Q might help?