Load

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
jameswilson

Load

Post by jameswilson »

What is load whats high low etc, I assumed a load of 1.00 was maximum but i have seen it higher so im confused? Anyone know?

James
Baylink

Load average

Post by Baylink »

it's the (presumably 1-minute) average of how many Unix processes are in the run queue.

What's too high a number depends entirely on your machine: current AthlonXP and P-IV class machines can tolerate LA's as high as 10 and still provide reasonable interactive response; on the old 386 and 486 machines, 2.0 would kill you.

I once had to recover an AT&T 3b2-300 (about a 486-50 class machine) that had a load average of *26*. It took me 22 minutes just to log in. Fixed it, though...
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

so if the highest i get is 3 anything below 5 is good?
Baylink

Again

Post by Baylink »

it depends on your machine. On the current generation of machines, yeah, a 3 isn't too bad. My sister's Athlon 2500 2-tuner MythTV box rarely breaks 4 while recording 2 programs, transcoding in the background, and playing one back, so...
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

well its currently on an xp2800 with 512mb but will be going on a celron d 2.2 with 512 when my mobo arrives. From what you say i should be laughing, most of the time its at 0.08 but i have seen it as high as 2.4. Box currently has 4 inputs of a single chip card @368 x 288 - 24bit. Only goes above 1 when steaming. I have been using jpg streaming cos it works better with my windows boxes

Thanks for ur reply though

James
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

just to resurect this one.

I have a test machine and i have noaded it with 12 inputs. All capturing at 2.3 ish fps (3 x 4 input single chip cards)
All inputs on mocord with a frame skip of 6
All is dandy. But when logging in with 3 xp pro clients and all 3 showing montage the load averages at 17
This is the 1 min load.
Machine is still responsive but i am concerned that if to many people log into montage that zm will stopp capturing or dropping frames due to the loading.
I understand from a previous comment that the acceptable load depends on trhe hardware of the machine. Is there anyone who can offer guidance on this. What if 12 people loggind into monatge etc etc. Obviously my prime concern is to ensure that the machine wont stop recording just from people logging into it.

JAmes
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Depending on your budget, perhaps you could do with a slave machine that takes the feeds from your main one. This machine would be the one that people log into but it wouldn't be doing any analysis etc. The downside is that your main machine would always have at least one zms per camera on it, which may still be too much for your box I guess.

Phil
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

i thought that but at low fps i think it could at least it would be a contant load. The other thing i thought was to limit the number of logins is that possible?
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

One thing Phil. If i cascade machines like that would ptz commands be sent through.

ie
Pelco dome----- ZM server 1 -------- ZM server 2--------- ZM client
Of the zm client instructed the camera to go left would ZM server 2 pass the command to zm server 1 to pass to the camera. or could zm server 2 be instructed to pass the command stratight to the dome??

JAmes
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Ah, PTZ complicates things somewhat. I think you'd have to set up a cgi script to relay the commands through the machines. So the slave machine would issue commands over the web and the cgi script would just pass the parameters directly through to the appropriate zmcontrol script. Or have the serial connection directly connected to the slave though this would prevent any possibility of control from the master.

Phil
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

is the cgi forwarding something that could just be enabled always as there isnt any downsides is there?
It would also mean that cascading maces coulb be virtually limitless?
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Yes. It should be possible. I'll have a bit more of a look and see if there are any gotchas in there.

Phil
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

great i assume your thinking of just adding it always assuming there are no 'gotcha's'

Cheers love ya Phil

James
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Now now, calm down James! Yes, I've added it to the to do list. When it gets in depends whether I do a minor or major release next. I haven't decided!

Phil
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

major major
please pretty please

Still love ya Phil
You da man or whatever it is they say

Cheers Mate