Cannot create JPEGs with Ubuntu 14.04 and single FI8918W

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.26.x releases only.
ldenneau

Cannot create JPEGs with Ubuntu 14.04 and single FI8918W

Post by ldenneau »

Hi,

I'm trying to run ZoneMinder on a very basic setup: a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04 and a single Foscam FI8918W connected over ethernet. The webcam works fine, I can use its web-based interface without problems. After I set up the camera in ZM, it appears to connect to the camera but cannot create JPEG images. The logs contain:

Unable to decode jpeg
Failed requesting writeable buffer for reading JPEG image.
Held buffer is undersized for requested buffer

The URL in the camera setup (/snapshot.cgi?user=alice&pwd=secret) works fine when using a web browser.

I suspect there is an issue with how shared memory is being handled. Can somebody suggest a fix?

Thanks,
Larry
bbunge

Re: Cannot create JPEGs with Ubuntu 14.04 and single FI8918W

Post by bbunge »

Go back to the 1.28 section for the recommendations we gave you there.
bbunge

Re: Cannot create JPEGs with Ubuntu 14.04 and single FI8918W

Post by bbunge »

One more time!

I had my production server hard drive crash the other day. So, with a new WD drive I set about installing Ubuntu 14.04 with ZM 1.28.1 from the PPA. Everything went well until I got to the Foscam FI8910W.

I set it up as remote with Remote Host Path of: /videostream.cgi?user=visitor&pwd=visitor1

The camera has an "Operator" of visitor.

And ZM wold not connect to the camera and work!

What did work was to use the camera administrator user and password like: /videostream.cgi?user=admin&pwd=password1

Additionally I added &rate=11 to the end of the line to lower the camera frame rate to 5 FPS.

Since the FI8918W and FI8910W are reported to have the same settings it should now work for you.