NSLU2 plus QuickCam Pro 9000 = IP camera at 960x720

Post here to indicate any hardware you have used and which is known to work with ZoneMinder. Not for questions.
mhamel

NSLU2 plus QuickCam Pro 9000 = IP camera at 960x720

Post by mhamel »

I have been looking into the combination of one of the router/NAS devices supported by the OpenWRT firmware and the newer high-resolution webcams such as the QuickCam Pro 9000. It turns out that this can be made to work, and makes a high-resolution IP camera that does 960x720 pixels quite comfortably with ZoneMinder. My only problem is that I can't actually use this resolution as I run out of CPU on a 1.2GHz PIII, but others with more modern hardware might find it useful. The firmware install process is described on http://johnarthur.wordpress.com/.
sloan949

Very Cool!!

Post by sloan949 »

I have Debian on my Slug now and am looking for a new use for it. I just picked up the 9000... What a perfect match. Please keep us posted. After I get my most recent ZoneMinder install on Ubuntu dialed in, I will take up this project.
mhamel

Post by mhamel »

One thing I have noticed which is sort of frustrating is that the camera doesn't have to generate JPEGs; it can also produce uncompressed YUY2 format, which would relieve ZoneMinder of the work involved in unpacked JPEGs. The trouble is that there is no defined way of moving YUY2 over the LAN to ZoneMinder (and it would use a lot of LAN bandwidth), so it can't be used...