Question on purging

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
Frosty

Question on purging

Post by Frosty »

In my tests of ZoneMinder, I set the program to purge data when the disk fills to a certain level. Unfortunately, instead of erasing the oldest data first and continuing on, it deleted everything that had been recorded up to that point for all the cameras! Is there any way to get around this?
Stay Frosty
mikb

Re: Question on purging

Post by mikb »

Frosty wrote:Is there any way to get around this?
Yes. Set the filter up correctly next time! :)

Sometimes it's better to submit the filter and see what it does before allowing it to execute. That way you find out what it's about to do before it does nothing/too much.

Do you still have the filter settings you used? If so, post them here and someone will probably spot the deliberate mistake ...
Frosty

Configuration Screenshot

Post by Frosty »

mikb wrote:
Frosty wrote:Is there any way to get around this?
Yes. Set the filter up correctly next time! :)

Sometimes it's better to submit the filter and see what it does before allowing it to execute. That way you find out what it's about to do before it does nothing/too much.

Do you still have the filter settings you used? If so, post them here and someone will probably spot the deliberate mistake ...
Whew, I was worried that this was just how ZoneMinder handled purging. Here's a screenshot of my filter configuration (note that the percentage is only set to 8 because this is a small-scale test; in regular circulation, it would obviously be set much higher):

Stay Frosty
mikb

Post by mikb »

OK that looks good, but maybe you are not on the same page as ZoneMinder regarding "used" and "free"

If you are trying to tell ZoneMinder to only use up to 8% of the disk -- then that would seem sensible for testing. But ... big but ... only if Zoneminder events are the ONLY THING on that disk device.

How much space /usage is there on the disk where your events (jpgs) are being stored?

If you have a disk with 90% of other stuff (let's say your OS and all your apps!) -- that rule will fire, and fire, and fire until there's nothing of ZM's events left. I suspect that might be what happened.

It's "delete on > 8% of the total disk space in-use, as reported by the OS", so what does "df -h /mnt/point/for/your/images" say? If it's anything over 8% used, that's why it went rampant.

Either: Set 95% from now on and don't worry about testing, or give ZoneMinder a dedicated disk/mounted file system for its events, which will be 0% full at the start, and slowly climb -- and if it does overflow by some quirk, it will only bring down ZoneMinder, not your OS/other apps.
Frosty

clarification

Post by Frosty »

mikb wrote:OK that looks good, but maybe you are not on the same page as ZoneMinder regarding "used" and "free"

If you are trying to tell ZoneMinder to only use up to 8% of the disk -- then that would seem sensible for testing. But ... big but ... only if Zoneminder events are the ONLY THING on that disk device.

How much space /usage is there on the disk where your events (jpgs) are being stored?

If you have a disk with 90% of other stuff (let's say your OS and all your apps!) -- that rule will fire, and fire, and fire until there's nothing of ZM's events left. I suspect that might be what happened.

It's "delete on > 8% of the total disk space in-use, as reported by the OS", so what does "df -h /mnt/point/for/your/images" say? If it's anything over 8% used, that's why it went rampant.

Either: Set 95% from now on and don't worry about testing, or give ZoneMinder a dedicated disk/mounted file system for its events, which will be 0% full at the start, and slowly climb -- and if it does overflow by some quirk, it will only bring down ZoneMinder, not your OS/other apps.
That's the thing - ZoneMinder recordings are the only things on there. This machine was a clean install of Ubuntu Server and disk usage was only at 2% when I started recording. In fact, it took quite a while to fill it up to 8% because I had the framerates set very low (Mocord; 1FPS idle, 5FPS motion).
Stay Frosty
mikb

Post by mikb »

In which case you've got me stumped!

If there is only one file system, with everything in it (All of your OS, files, and zoneminder's events) and it's only 8% full, then you have one (1) HUGE file system :) Simple, but not optimal setup.

Or you have more than one file system, with an (unspecified) % full OS section, any others, and finally a file system (disk, partition, volume) that is mostly empty just for Zoneminder, ranging 2-8% that got emptied totally when there was no need. Which shouldn't happen[tm].

Can you post the full output of "df -h" to see how simple->complex your file systems actually are?

Another thought: Is there another rule running, something about "Purge When Old" that may have caught you out?

I'm not sure how you work out exactly which rule did the deleting, as all I can notice in my logs is it saying "Deleting event 123456" -- but not *why*.
Frosty

more data

Post by Frosty »

mikb wrote:In which case you've got me stumped!

If there is only one file system, with everything in it (All of your OS, files, and zoneminder's events) and it's only 8% full, then you have one (1) HUGE file system :) Simple, but not optimal setup.
Yes. If this were put into a production environment, I'd probably set it up with the OS on a smaller disk and the DVR data on a separate disk (or RAID array) or partition it with the OS on a small volume and the DVR data on a separate, larger volume. We'll get there when we get there though - first I need to make sure I can get everything to work properly on this test rig before we dive into those more advanced setups.
mikb wrote: Or you have more than one file system, with an (unspecified) % full OS section, any others, and finally a file system (disk, partition, volume) that is mostly empty just for Zoneminder, ranging 2-8% that got emptied totally when there was no need. Which shouldn't happen[tm].

Can you post the full output of "df -h" to see how simple->complex your file systems actually are?
Yup. This is what I've got:

Code: Select all

Filesystem                           Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/ZoneMinderTest--vg-root  228G  2.9G  214G   2% /
none                                 4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
udev                                 973M  4.0K  973M   1% /dev
tmpfs                                197M  584K  197M   1% /run
none                                 5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
none                                 984M     0  984M   0% /run/shm
none                                 100M     0  100M   0% /run/user
/dev/sda1                            236M   66M  158M  30% /boot
Another thought: Is there another rule running, something about "Purge When Old" that may have caught you out?

I'm not sure how you work out exactly which rule did the deleting, as all I can notice in my logs is it saying "Deleting event 123456" -- but not *why*.
I don't know for sure. I know that "PurgeWhenFull" is the only filter on the dropdown menu in the filters dialog box though.
Stay Frosty
Nerre

Post by Nerre »

What that rule says is:

If disk is occupied more than 8%, delete the last 100 events.

So, if you have less than 100 events, everything will be deleted.

Set the number of event to 5 or something like that, then zm will delete 5 events at a time until it reaches below 8% full.
mikb

Post by mikb »

Yes, but look at the output of "df" ... it shouldn't be deleting ANY events, as the usage is 2% !
Nerre

Post by Nerre »

I compared to my working filter.

I have mine set to 51%, sorting by Date/Time (instead of Id as you have) and limit to 5 events at a time. Other that I see no difference.

But you are right that it seems strange that events get deleted even though the disk is just 2% full. What if you change from 8% to 95%? Does it still delete events? Trying to find out if the wrong space is checked or if the filter just doesn't work at all.