Filtering motion events caused by WiFi drops

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
Adm746

Filtering motion events caused by WiFi drops

Post by Adm746 »

What is the best practice for filtering distorted images like the one attached. I have max percent/pixel settings but often the distortion only cuts through a potion of the zone.
Attachments
D604BB07-0D23-43CE-ADB1-4276439D5C9F.jpeg
D604BB07-0D23-43CE-ADB1-4276439D5C9F.jpeg (329.54 KiB) Viewed 2111 times
bbunge

Re: Filtering motion events caused by WiFi drops

Post by bbunge »

Need a bit of information about your hardware. Server and Camera. What you showed us is not uncommon and is usually due to an improperly configured camera.
Adm746

Post by Adm746 »

This is a hikvision camera streaming rsvp feed h264 over 2.4ghz WiFi in a crowded rf space. The server is Debian Jessie currently run in a docker container, but similar artifacts appeared runing natively and on early builds. I frames are sent ever 6 frames or I.e. every half second.
CountyLine

Post by CountyLine »

I assume rsvp is a typo and you really meant to type rtsp.

I remember having similar problems with an older version of ZM when the camera RTSP streams were using UDP. Switching to TCP fixed it.

A congested network would make things even worse with UDP.

Note: That didn't cure all the problems with WiFi hits, but it did significantly improve the situation. I eventually converted entirely to wired Ethernet connections, which eliminated 99% plus of the glitches.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Couple of things that might help:
lower resolution. Start with 640x480 or whatever your cam will do. Often you can set the resolution in Zoneminder to half of what the camera can do without changing the cam.
Lower the frame rate to 5 FPS. This really is OK for a security cam.
Set your router 2.4 GHZ channel to 20 Mhz bandwidth on channel 1, 6, or 11. Don't use Auto channel as the router can switch channels anytime it wants to and cause disconnects. Use a WIFI monitor such as Acrylic WIFI home to try to find a least crowded channel.