Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW woes

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
golanv

Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW woes

Post by golanv » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:42 am

I'm running Zoneminder 1.32.3 on Fedora and am attempting to get a Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW working. I have attempted to apply the different configurations from the Wiki, but am unable to get Zoneminder to retrieve a video stream from the camera. I can use VLC to see the video stream without any issue, but it's a no go with Zoneminder. Does anyone have a configuration that works with this specific camera?

Thanks!

snake

Re: Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW woes

Post by snake » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:31 am

Have you tried libVLC as a source type? Don't know how to install on Fedora, but the install guides on the wiki cover it for Debian, and you can adapt. It may already be included - not sure.

Check the user manual for the camera, as well as Onvif.

I found the user manual, and you can enable / disable RTSP authentication, and there is an anonymous view mode. I did not see any obvious RTSP path.

Sometimes cameras allow only one viewer at a time, so try closing VLC before trying ZM, or make another user account on the camera. Don't forget to include username and password in the path.

FTP or NAS storage is an option with this camera, and ZM can use "file" source type. Haven't tried that personally, though.

What parameters are you trying and what happens?

golanv

Post by golanv » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:05 am

I have tried libvlc and it also does not work. I will attempt to disable authentication once I figure out how to do it. I think there is not a concurrent access restriction issue involved, as closing VLC and other web clients doesn't seem have any affect. Regarding settings...

[General]
Source Type: Ffmpeg
Function: Monitor
Enabled :Yep
Maxmum FPS: I've tried various FPS, at, above and below the settings in the camera configuration, as well as blank.

[Source]
Source path: rtsp://admin:password@10.0.0.30:554/Streaming/Channels/102 ...
Also rtsp://admin:password@10.0.0.30:554//cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1
Target colorspace :32 Bit (and 24, and 8)
Capture Width: 1920
Capture height: 1080
(I've also tried various other resolutions that match the camera settings).

Everything else default.

Thanks!!

golanv

Post by golanv » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:22 am

So, something strange...it seems like the ports on the camera are only accessible from a certain IP. I'm not sure what's going on, but maybe this is an issue with the camera's networking rather than a Zoneminder issue directly. My Zoneminder host can't even determine that the camera is on the network, and all ports are closed. I'll see if I can figure it out...

snake

Post by snake » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:43 am

There are also some other paths on ispy you can try:
https://www.ispyconnect.com/man.aspx?n=hikvision&page=6

golanv

Post by golanv » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:23 am

An update...the best I can tell, the camera is simply not accessible from any network host that uses a bridged network adapter (like virtual machines). This kind of makes it hard to run zoneminder in a virtual machine. I contacted the company to see if they had an explanation/solution, but they told me that the camera was not purchase through an authorized dealer (I got it from Amazon) and refused to help me. That doesn't really make me feel too good about Hikvision, but I don't expect lots of support for these network cameras anyway (but some would be nice).

I'll see if I can figure out a way to get around the issue, but since it's new, I may end up returning the camera and look for a different brand.

Thanks for the help!

golanv

Post by golanv » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:58 pm

And....last update: It works now. The problem didn't ultimately lie in the camera, but in a weird networking issue that seemed to block traffic from any bridged adapter to the camera. It seems to be related to my router, although I didn't quite figure it out. Some fiddling with network cables and router ports got things working. This router is a TP-Link router running DD-WRT (a beta version). I'm not sure if it was hardware or software, but I somewhat think it was not related to the patch cables used...

Thanks for the help!

rapatil432

Post by rapatil432 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:21 am

Great Information...