broadcasts surveillance camera

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
andrew_hall9

broadcasts surveillance camera

Post by andrew_hall9 »

Hi friends, I am very new to zoneminder and I have never used it before. Right now I have couple of requirements.

I want to set up an outdoor video surveillance and need to know what I need.

1. Need a wireless, solar camera because it will be installed 500 ft from my house. Do they have these?

2. Need an Internet camera that broadcasts on the Internet and saves the images so I can view it while working on the computer.

3. Night vision because there are no street lights here.

Please tell me can I have all these with zoneminder?
Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

Hi

1. Wireless absolutely not a problem. All wireless IP cameras support normal 802.11 b or g.
Solar - then it won't work at night :p
All of them use various dc voltages (Eg, Axis are sometimes 5vdc) so you should be able to sort a battery to run it on, and a solar or wind powered charger for that battery. Wireless cams use more power than cat5 ones but we're not talking large amounts in either case.

2. All the support JPG will allow you to export individual frames and make it really easy to throw the picture anywhere you like. Other feeds can be converted, but you need some backend work to change formats on the fly.
Beware Linksys, D-Link and other low-end cameras that only support one feed or *require* "Internet Explorer". Axis will do all that you want of it.

3. Night vision just doesn't work in my experience with IP cameras. Low light cameras exist, but they need either white or infra-red lights as well.
If it's for people, I'd use a PIR type floodlight that comes on when people near. This provides enough light to record with a normal camera and gives a very good motion-detection signature in ZM so you can find events easily.
"But!" I hear you cry, "What about that power!" There's a new product around that is a solar powered PIR. The one I have has a bunch of LED's and whilst nowhere near the 150-500w of a normal pir floodlight, the 10-15w it produces is enough to record and see with.