zm4ppc help needed zm viewer for pocket pc 2003 se

If you've made a patch to quick fix a bug or to add a new feature not yet in the main tree then post it here so others can try it out.
robi

Post by robi »

jameswilson wrote:how to parse all that easily
A lot of ways to parse ini files. I use an open source module in my projects, I never wrote a parser myself.
This one for example says that supports the .net Compact Framework, for mobile devices.
http://nini.sourceforge.net/
v1.25.0 + Ubuntu Linux 12.04 Server
haus

Post by haus »

Wasn't there a discussion way up on page 1 or 2 about the possibility of the config file being in the same directory as the program file, and that being the one that gets loaded? So if you wanted multiple installs on your PPC, you could create:

Code: Select all

/program files/zm4ppc_A/zm4ppc.exe (with jpw file in that dir)
/program files/zm4ppc_B/zm4ppc.exe (with jpw file in that dir)
Then the user can set up shortcuts on the PPC to run whichever install (s)he wants to load. The program is so tiny, it's not like you're installing multiple copies of Office 2007. The latest version is only 72kb. The work of configuring goes in as part of the installation, and then it "just works" after that.

Seems simple enough, then james can just code the exe to look for a jpw file in the same directory. End of story?
robi

Post by robi »

haus wrote:Seems simple enough, then james can just code the exe to look for a jpw file in the same directory. End of story?
Fully agree, as this is exactly what I suggested in the first place, but afaiu James didn't like this approach.
haus

Post by haus »

Ah -oops! Sorry! It seemed like a clean solution, but as james is coding this he gets to do what he wants. :D
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

I think there should be a default settings file, and ideally it should be at the application directory. But i dont know how to mak eit look there on cf but i will do some reading.

Also the aspect ratio is wrong. but my code does assume a 4:3 aspect

who isnt using 4:3?
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
haus

Post by haus »

I wouldn't worry about CF/SD...this thing is so tiny...really. No one could be that hard up for space on their WM device (could they?). I would just specify that the config file must be in the same dir as the program file - not to sound like a broken record. It keeps things very clean.

I'm using 4:3 on my cams, so I haven't seen any weird stretching. Maybe Robi can post a screen shot, if there's nothing prurient in the imagery. :D
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

ok ill do some reading

In the mean time updated version (see above download for the exe)

fixed aspect stretching in landscape mode (bars either side of screen)

fixed default file loading (my docs on the device not the storage card)

Until i work out how to load config from the app location thats about it for now. Unless we have anything major.

I need to sort the threading issues on the quad too
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
haus

Post by haus »

Nice! The opening of the default config file works great now. It's a one-click-to-view solution!

I'd still love to see a check mark next to the active cam when the menu softkey is pressed.

Also would love to see the error on exit go away. :)

I'd say those two would be more useful than the quad view, after using this app for a few days now.

Also, something odd started happening yesterday (before I downloaded the latest release) - the app started showing the top "start" bar, which was cutting off the top of my images. By "start" bar I mean the part of WM5 that has the start button, the current app name, and the various icons about signal strength, battery level, etc. Normally that disappears when I run zm4ppc, but yesterday it started not disappearing. Then I did a soft reset today and things were back to normal. Probably a memory issue, but I just thought I'd mention it.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

update

check marks next to selected cameras

error on closing 'should' not be fixed

altered layout for portrait mode

fixed hourglass on opening with no default file.

added label of current file selected in portrait mode under camera view, ie if the file is called 'home.jpw' then 'home' will be displayed so as you know which site your connected to.

download the exe as above.
James Wilson

haus

Post by haus »

Sah-weet!

Very nice. I see the title bar this time and the image isn't cut off at all. The check mark is great. Only one drawback I'm seeing now. When I click "OK" the old versions used to close the program. Now it doesn't do that. So if I forget to "system->close", my Treo sits there downloading pics forever, eating battery life and causing data usage that could eventually get me in trouble with Verizon (if I left it on all night, possibly).

For safety, it might be smart to have an auto-disconnect after 2-3 minutes.

I'm still getting an error on close, but it's "self-clearing". Something about thread exception - it blinks by and then disappears.

Really enjoying this!!!! Thank you!
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

yeah wrong update try it again

re the ok issue, thats a cf thing, all apps do it the ok button doesnt close the app.
I dont think closing it after 3 mins would work either, i could make it only do say 50 refreshes then wait to be restarted but thats not what i want from the app.
James Wilson

jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

Update

If the app is not 'up' ie the focus after 60 seconds it will close itself

exe in the usual place
James Wilson

robi

Post by robi »

Resolution @ all seem OK, thanks alot.
It keeps saying Please Wait... with the default config file.

If the .jpw file is in the same folder with the .exe, open dialog doesn't even see it. That's pretty bad, as multi-configs would be nice to be kept in a single folder. It's a bit inconvenient to have to keep program elements around in different places, one may forget after a while what and where should be kept.
robi

Post by robi »

How about an icon?

Get it from here. (right-click, Save As...)
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

robi wrote:Resolution @ all seem OK, thanks alot.
It keeps saying Please Wait... with the default config file.

If the .jpw file is in the same folder with the .exe, open dialog doesn't even see it. That's pretty bad, as multi-configs would be nice to be kept in a single folder. It's a bit inconvenient to have to keep program elements around in different places, one may forget after a while what and where should be kept.
The std ppc open file dialog (not mine microsofts) wont see files on the storage card. Not a lot i can do about that.
But you can put them all in one folder and the default will show em all that are on the device unless you navigate manually.

If i could make a cf app know where its exe was stored then i could... as it is i dont think its in the framwork. I could i suppose write an installer that would install it on the device is a set location.... then id know wehre it was but i dont want that. Just saves your config in say the business folder and your ok.

But the please wait thing is a bug that ill sort.
James Wilson