sis chipset

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
jameswilson

sis chipset

Post by jameswilson »

I have a zm box built on a sg72 abit with celeron d 2.2 Ghz 160Gb 512Mb. Most things work fine and zm works a treat. I have a problem with the display before and after kde, when turning the machine on i get bios etc post then i get the zm mandrake boot screen, count down from 10 then display goes blank and moitor shows unable to display this etc change to 1280 x 1024 @ 60Hz. After that when KDE loads i get a screen back. I assume linux is driving my flat panel to high during boot. Am i right etc, how do i change this. Also the machine will not reboot it just hangs after exiting kde so i might have a couple of issues. Any Ideas

Cheers
James
Baylink

Possible Solution

Post by Baylink »

If it goes back to normal when X starts, then you probably have a problem similar to one I had on SuSE 9.2: when you install, the installer figures out what your monitor and card are capable of, and sets the boot string to run the framebuffer in a compatible mode... which is then too high, when you switch one of those things.

SuSE's boot time hwscan, for example, will notice that, and adjust X, but *it does not adjust the bootstring for you*.

If you're using GRUB, and you don't mind a text boot, just find vga=0xMUMBLE in the bootstring, and change it to vga=normal.

I *think* you can also do that in LILO, though it will probably look different.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

what file am i looking for any ideas? Could this also be the reason the box wont reboot?