Cant shmget

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
jameswilson

Cant shmget

Post by jameswilson »

Hi i have a hauppage direct card with 3 composites and and svhs input on.
I have used input 1 for 1 camera and use 320 x 240 colour
I would like to increase this as high as i can as its a high res day night camera 480tvl day 570 tvl night.
Reading the forum and faq it says this is a know issue and to increase my shmmax but doesnt say what to or how to calc etc.
I dont know what shared memory is and dont want to mess with a system that is working perfect apart from this.

Jun 11 22:24:03 zm zmc_d0[4414]: INF [Debug Level = 0, Debug Log = <none>]
Jun 11 22:24:03 zm zmc_d0[4414]: ERR [Can't shmget, probably not enough shared memory space free: Invalid argument]
Jun 11 22:24:04 zm zmu[4422]: ERR [Can't shmget, probably not enough shared memory space free: Invalid argument]
Jun 11 22:24:08 zm zmu[4426]: ERR [Can't shmget, probably not enough shared memory space free: Invalid argument]
Jun 11 22:24:11 zm zmu[4433]: ERR [Can't shmget, probably not enough shared memory space free: Invalid argument]
Jun 11 22:24:13 zm zmc_d0[4446]: INF [Debug Level = 0, Debug Log = <none>]

I have run shhmax and shmall and they are
shhmax 134217728
shmall 134217728
Im not sure if they are supposed to be the same and if its in bytes etc but yes they coming off as the same each time i run each command

As it appears to me that i have ussed all i can shared memory wise, i presume this is why i cannot increase the resolution. I also assume that i have no chance of connecting more than 1 cam to this box.

Thats not a critism of the software as i think its amazing its prob a limitation of the box i have built from old bits (my windows box is an fx53, raptors etc) and is built on an old duron with 768 Mb ram

Any help for the new ZM fan???
cordel

Post by cordel »

See this in the FAQ
http://www.zoneminder.com/index.php?id= ... faq_faq=10
Regards,
Cordel
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

thanks cordel but i already have those values as i posted do i need to make them higher?
cordel

Post by cordel »

Have you tried to restart ZM since you made the change?
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

i havnt changed it thats what it was at before but as its the same as the example given i didnt want to just guess at a value

James
cordel

Post by cordel »

I have encountered this problem but that was back in the Redhat 9 days. At this time I run everything on FC3 and haven't seen this problem since RH9. Have you tried decreasing the image buffer size?
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

no i havnt but i have noticed that if i change the res its best to restart zm. I have donr this and i can now get 640 x 480 but i currently only have 1 cam on it will try with 2. Is there any point in going higher than 640 x 480 ie can the camera output this and the card connvert this or am i wasting time. Thankyou for ur rapid replies!

james
cordel

Post by cordel »

It all depends on what the card and camera can support but mostly the card.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

Si i can put anything in there and it will work i have only tried 640 x 480 and 320 x 240 but pal can goto 720x576 so i was hoping on my high res cameras to set at this?
cordel

Post by cordel »

The key is you can get only what the card supports (well and that you want a camera that has the same diminsions that the card can support or you get squishie looking images). Anything besides what the card is capable of will produce errors and will not work. The two settings you tried are typical and I think that most bt878 based cards support those sizes. As far as PAL setting, I have not tried them and could not advise though there are other people here on the forum that could say. At least you know that those settings work so you could try other setting and see if they work. I think that the bt878 supports a max of 640x480 for NTSC but I don't know what it is capable of for PAL.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

thanks i will try it and let you know my card is bt878 based and i checked on this forum before i got it so thanks all!! I have posted in the hardware forum to report it works

James
cordel

Post by cordel »

I seen that. Also you may need to add a line in modprobe.conf to support using more than one port for that card. If this is the case after alias char-major-81 bttv add options bttv card=82 tuner=4 if you have just one card in the system.
Regards,
Cordel
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

I would assume ur live cd has already done that for me cos i can get 2 inputs working great. Slows down to 5 fps but it would.
I habe tried 768 x 576 and it does work!!
Thanks very much again!

James
cordel

Post by cordel »

Yeah no problem, but for the Live CD credit goes to Ross Melin. I make RPMS and have made a single CD Fedora Core 3 installer that has and installs everything just for ZM. Waiting on bandwidth for the release. I have a place to take the server but arrangments to meet the guy to move the server keep falling through (just think if the server went down how would I get in to work on it). So in light of that I'm looking at a few other options. I just bought a Cisco Firewall router that will allow me to use two DSL lines for 2Mb of bandwidth but have to find a way to afford that on a monthly basis :( so for now I'm stuck with 386k upload but I'm sure thats just burst speed.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

if i had more bandwidth id host it at work for you but im only on 256k upload. If we increase it I wouldnt mind hosting stuff for you