Almost there but problems

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
Broadband

Almost there but problems

Post by Broadband »

Hi All,
I have no clue about linux but luckily for me, you guys have done a great job. I went through the whole process and have installed livecd. It all seemed to go well. I chose the mbr option.
The problem is that when I rebooted the machine with the disk removed, it goes fairly directly to a screen which says;
L 99 99 99 99 and so on. About half a screen of 99's to be exact. I would appreciate any pointers.
Thanks, Broadband.
itsthemedication

A newbie's 2 cents...

Post by itsthemedication »

The livecd install is fairly straightforward, but there are at least three gotchas that I have come across:

1. I have banged my head against the wall trying to install livecd on older via chipsets - you're almost there and yet you get some very unexpected results. All I am saying is make sure your hardware is compatible. I can install knoppix with no problem on that same old via board but mandrake livecd just flakes out - and it's the worst type of flake - it looks like it is working. The best hardware i have found is an old refurbished compaq en desktop - livecd loves that thing - and remember the 256M memory, and remember to use the "livecd noscsi" option during startup.

2. It is listed over and over in this forum, but on the last screen make sure you select mbr (you did) and then press install not next (did that a few times)...

3. make sure you set your partitions as follows:
hda1 (2-3 G) root
hda5 (800M) swap
hda6 (remainder ) var - do not select home - use VAR

Well, these were just a few problems I have run into. It really was amazing the difference that the right hardware made... If you can't get it working just try another system because it really is a VERY easy install once livecd "bonds" ;) with your machine....
captureforfun

Read the book or goto forum first!!!

Post by captureforfun »

Thanks itsthemedication,after bashing my head for 2 days :oops: ,I decided to check the forum. The cdlive noscsi was my problem , someday I hope to start reading before installing :wink: