ZM - issue

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
viriio

ZM - issue

Post by viriio »

- I've edited this post as it was messed up and didn't make sense -
Last edited by viriio on Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
viriio

folllow-up

Post by viriio »

- I've edited this post as it was messed up and didn't make sense -
Last edited by viriio on Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Hi virio,
I'm not sure from your posts what the present state of your system is. The livecd does in fact install a complete linux system with ZoneMinder installed and ready to add cameras. It can not be used to install Zoneminder into an existing linux installation. To do that you would need to download the source tarball and follow the directions in the readme. It is a fairly complex job for an inexperienced linux user. This is the reason for the livecd.
Your first post seems to indicate that you got as far as partitioning, but I'm not sure what happened from there. If your partitions are good to go, just boot from the CD, click the installer icon, read the messages carefully, enter an "i" and you wil be up and running shortly. Hopefully! :)
If you run into more problems, try to explain clearly what is happening, and we will help you through it.

Best regards,
Ross
viriio

cheers

Post by viriio »

That explains things, I'll have another go tonight and see how I go, I'll try not to bug this forum with dodgy questions (sorry).

Thanks, that helps a lot. I'll post the outcome.

=)

--------
update
--------
hasn't worked im trying to figure out a way to get a dump of the screen so u can see the error.
I have one 4GB(no partitions, nothing) hd 196mb ram. its umm a 466mhz computer. I'll see if i can get a digital camera and take a picture of the monitor. crashes after SWAP = OK
davide

Post by davide »

I think the LiveCD needs 256 MB of RAM to work...
try putting a little more RAM in your system.
feel free to ask, we will help if we can!
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Yes that is right, 256 MB RAM is minimum for LiveCD 1.19.1. This will no longer be the case with the next version, due out shortly. I'm not sure what the minimum will be, probably 128, maybe less.

Ross
viriio

oh ok

Post by viriio »

I've got some spare ram at home, I'll chunk it in and give it a go tonight. cheers

---------
update
---------
I put an extra 256 stick in, didn't fix the problem same message at the same stage. I've borrowed a digital camera, I'll take a picture of the message.
viriio

photos

Post by viriio »

photos here (1.7mb? ish)
I took a few photos of the same screen as they weren't coming out very well. Hopefully this will help. Please ask any questions needed.
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Please try using "livecd noscsi" at the boot prompt.

Ross
viriio

no scsi

Post by viriio »

umm computer doesn't have any scsi drives, but I'll try it thanks =)
viriio

=)

Post by viriio »

yea that worked =), I tested it on a work machine, I'll actually install it tonight. I'll let you know how i go.

--update--
-----------
Installing now...=) all going well so far.
Thanks for your help
--------------------------

Umm i have a card with four plugs and well it doesn't seem to be working

it has a /dev/video0 I set the monitors up on the webbased interface one for each channel with a camera on each, and none come up when i go to preview them. Any tests that can be done to make sure the card is working?