Anybody using a Grandtec Grand X-Guard 16 port with sucess?

Post here to indicate any hardware you have used and which is known to work with ZoneMinder. Not for questions.
jeff

Anybody using a Grandtec Grand X-Guard 16 port with sucess?

Post by jeff »

I want to build a larger system, I have been using 4 port cards in the past. I wanted to make sure the 16 port card would work fine before I purchased it. It will be going in a single processor p4 2.8 Ghz poweredge sc400. Anyone care to comment or share a sucess story?
Thanks in Advance....
davide

Post by davide »

see http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3285

it works but don't expect good performances:
using 1 source you get 25FPS
using 2 source you get 5FPS each (10FPS tot)
using 4 sources you get 2.5 each (10 tot)
and so on.
if you use more than 1 source total FPS is 10/12
(I think because of the poor multiplexing)
jeff

Post by jeff »

Maybe I would do better to buy a couple of the eight port cards or try to put in four of the four port/one chip cards?

Anyone have experience with these setups?
davide

Post by davide »

I successfully used 2 Grand XGuard 4P in the same machine: that way I have 2 chips, 8 inputs, 2/3 FPS each, low price.
In my opinion the 16P has too low performance (only 1 chip for all 16 inputs...), having 4 cards of 4 inputs each (4 chips in total) should be better.

Very soon I should be able to try 4 cards in together, I'll let you know.

UPDATED:
I successfully used up to 4 cards in the same computer for a total of 16 inputs, 2.5 FPS each.
Last edited by davide on Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbabauer

Help with selecting card...newbie

Post by mbabauer »

I am a newb, but am looking at the GrandTec 4p. What I am trying to setup is an inexpensive servaillence system for my home. I don't need more FPS that 2.5 or so, I wouldn't think...just something to catch criminals trying to get into my shed, house, and/or cars.

My question is what sort of cameras do I need to use with said GrandTec 4p? I want something like an external bullet-cam. I am more concerned with the ability to capture low-light. One problem is that running electrical will be tough, but not necessarily impossible. it seems this uses composite video in, but I thought CCTV standard was BNC or something like coaxe.