Reolink pivots away from Linux?!

Post here to indicate any hardware you have used and which is known to work with ZoneMinder. Not for questions.
rik

Reolink pivots away from Linux?!

Post by rik »

I had not actively used ZM for years, and spent a fair amount of time perusing https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Hardware_Compatibility_List before picking a newer Reolink camera, RLC-811A https://reolink.com/product/rlc-811a/. Several very similar cameras (eg, https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Reolink#RLC-810A) were reported by others to work. (I've looked through the wiki edits on this page to attempt to contact the folks -- Tmittelstaedt, Montagdude, Biloxigeek --- who've had success but don't seem able to connect these wiki authors to forum users?)

But as I've been describing in this thread viewtopic.php?t=33190, I've had real difficulties even getting ONVIF communications to work. (TL;DR: I can ping the camera but `nmap` reports all ports are closed?!) Others have reported good support from Reolink and so I've slogged through multiple layers of support before finally receiving the final response from "senior support" that:
Sorry to tell you that we only support the Windows and Mac Client currently.
So we do not know how to and can not connect the cameras to your Linux system.
(Full exchange with Reolink support included below in case you find this sort of exchange amusing.)

Others here on the ZM forum seem to have had much different experiences using the Reolink cameras, so either I am just being thick or there has been a change in Reolink's support of Linux. As it stands, I am just going to have to send these cameras (and the Reolink PoE injectors I got to use with them) back to the company and then look again for good cameras to use with ZM.

I'll be most interested in any reactions any of you have.
-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [Reolink] Re: Conversation with rik
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:57:25 +0000
Reply-To: Reolink Support Team <support@reolink.com>
To: rik <xxxxxx>

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Your request has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email:

*Bella*

Apr 16, 2024, 16:57 GMT+8

Dear,

This is Bella from the Reolink Senior Support Team.

Sorry to tell you that we only support the Windows and Mac Client currently.
So we do not know how to and can not connect the cameras to your Linux system.

I feel sorry but there is no way to achieve it currently. Although we pay high attention to your request, it is a big project so it will take time to evaluate the request and to implement it. Thank you very much for your suggestion.

We have been diligently working on implementing some selected user requests. And I’m honored to have yours added to the list. Some nice ideas have been implemented as you can see in our changelog (What’s New) of firmware/software updates. Please kindly understand that bug fixes are our top priority and then user request or feature request. So it may take some time to see yours become true. Please stay tuned!

Thanks for your support of Reolink Product!
Anything we can help you, please do not hesitate to keep us informed.
Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
Reolink Support Team –Bella

*Becky*

Apr 16, 2024, 08:34 GMT+8

Dear,

Thank you for your reply.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused and appreciate your kind patience during the troubleshooting process.

I'll escalate this case to our senior support team to better help you. Please kindly wait for their contact.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
Reolink Support Team-Becky

*rik*

Apr 16, 2024, 01:40 GMT+8

Yes, please coordinate a better time with a knowledgeable and
propose a time convenient to them.

I will also mention that I've documented my attempts to
resolve my issues here:

viewtopic.php?t=33190&sid=c19418cbac43a ... 9eba4e2e5f <viewtopic.php?t=33190&sid=c19418cbac43a ... 9eba4e2e5f>

it contains screenshots of my camera settings.

*Olivia*

Apr 15, 2024, 18:24 GMT+8

Dear Rik,

Thanks for your update.

Would you mind if we confirm with our engineer first and reschedule the phone call?
Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,
Reolink Support Team -Olivia

*rik*

Apr 15, 2024, 05:14 GMT+8

>> Sorry we don't support the Linux system, so the camera cannot add to the
>> Linux Reolink Client.

I am aware that Reolink does not provide an app for Linux.
But many sources report successfully using your cameras on Linux, eg:

> https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Reolink <https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Reolink>

I am in Pacific Time zone. I can be available for a call tomorrow,
MOnday, April 15, from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm my time. Now please let
me know just when you will be calling.

I look forward to speaking with someone knowledgeable.

*Season*

Apr 14, 2024, 18:00 GMT+8

Dear,

Thank you for your reply!

Sorry we don't support the Linux system, so the camera cannot add to the Linux Reolink Client.
If the camera can work on the phone APP?
If you prefer a call, please let us know your time zone, phone number and available time.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to your information!

Best regards,
Reolink Support Team—Season

*rik*

Apr 14, 2024, 04:04 GMT+8

Let me explain to you: yesterday (Friday) I got a
reply from chat that it was closed, and calling
833-424-0499 got the message that there was no support
there either.

I need support from someone knowledgeable about how
to connect this camera to a Linux computer; Reolink
does not make an app for Linux and that creates special
issues. I need some who appreciates that "ping"
is able to see the camera, but "nmap" shows only port
9000 open. I am also using Reolink's PoE injector,
and worry that it is perhaps the issue.

Please arrange a time when a qualified rep is available
and I can pursue my issues with them.

Regards, Rik

*Justina*

Apr 13, 2024, 17:39 GMT+8

Dear,

Thanks for your updated information.
I am so sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.
Let me explain to you, both the chat and call service are available, we didn't close them.
Actually you can continue the chat service. And I am also happy to help you here by email.
I reviewed the previous chat ticket #1612497 <https://eztech9385.zendesk.com/agent/tickets/1612497>, and your issue is that you can't set up two cameras, right?

May I confirm how did you power both two cameras? Such as poe nvr recorder or poe switch?
If by poe switch, can you send us the switch direct link or model?

Best Regards,
Reolink Support Team - Justina

*rik*

Apr 13, 2024, 06:29 GMT+8

This is a continuation of the issues I first contacted
you about on April 3; cf ticket #1612497 <https://support-d.reolink.com/hc/requests/1612497> regarding chat log.

I again tried to connect to your support Apr 10,
but it announced you weren't doing chat!?

I just tried calling 833-424-0499 and am told that
your phone lines are also off.

Reolink has had a reputation for solid support. Do I
need to let all the social media know that that has
changed?

Please advise.

--
R. K. | hancock
xxxxxx <mailto:xxxxxx>

*Becky*

Apr 12, 2024, 11:08 GMT+8

Dear,

This is Becky from the Reolink support team. Thank you for contacting us and sorry for the inconvenience caused.

May I know if you connect the camera to the router directly? To help you more effectively, please send us a video to check how you connect the camera with the router and the connection process. It will help us better to locate the issue and offer you a suitable solution quicker.

To provide you with more targeted service and guidance, please inform us of the camera’s purchase platform and order number. This helps us help you more effectively.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
Reolink Support Team-Becky

*System* (Reolink)

Apr 12, 2024, 00:51 GMT+8

(00:37:53) Reolink Bot: Good day. How can I assist you with your inquiries?

RESET PASSWORD, INITIAL SETUP FAILED, DOESN'T POWER ON, FAIL TO CONNECT THE CAMERA OR NVR, FAIL TO BIND CAMERA TO REOLINK CLOUD
(00:38:41) Web User 661811dfdfb9ed631c4ef96f: Fail to connect the camera or NVR
(00:38:44) Reolink Bot: Do you mean that you failed to connect your camera or NVR via Reolink software?

YES. THATS CORRECT., NO. I FAILED TO ADD CAMERA TO NVR, I MEET OTHER ISSUES.
(00:38:52) Web User 661811dfdfb9ed631c4ef96f: Yes. Thats correct.
(00:38:55) Reolink Bot: May I know which type of devices you meet the issue with?

Note: Please tap the options below to choose.
If you are not sure which type of product you are using, please check that on our website. Since the troubleshooting steps for different products are also different.

https://reolink.com/ <https://reolink.com/>

BATTERY-POWERED WIFI CAMERAS, BATTERY-POWERED 4G CAMERAS, DC-POWERED WIFI CAMERAS, POE CAMERAS, NVR
(00:39:11) Web User 661811dfdfb9ed631c4ef96f: PoE cameras
(00:39:14) Reolink Bot: Could you please check whether the camera is still powered on?

You can check that be seeing whether the IR lights of the camera light up or not during the nighttime or when you cover the camera lens.

THE CAMERA IS POWERED ON., THE CAMERA DOESN'T POWER ON PROPERLY.
(00:39:34) Web User 661811dfdfb9ed631c4ef96f: The camera is powered on.
(00:39:36) Reolink Bot: Could you please try the steps below to check whether it can solve the issue?

1. Try to reboot the camera and Poe device.
2. Try to unplug and replug the Ethernet cable.
3. Please test the camera with a different Ethernet port on the Poe device.
4. If possible, please use a different cable to see whether it works.
(00:39:37) Reolink Bot: Was this helpful?

YES, PROBLEM SOLVED, NO, I STILL NEED HELP
(00:39:41) Web User 661811dfdfb9ed631c4ef96f: No, I still need help
(00:39:44) Reolink Bot: Please provide the information below, and we will transfer you to an available agent for further assistance.
(00:39:45) Reolink Bot:
(00:40:33) Web User 661811dfdfb9ed631c4ef96f: Name: R K
Email: xxxxxx <mailto:xxxxxx>
Country/Region: North America::the United States
Product Model: RLC-811A
Order from: reolink.com
(00:40:36) Reolink Bot: I'm sorry that the chat line is busy now. To ensure your experience, we will contact you @xxxxxx <mailto:xxxxxx> in 24 hours.
(00:40:37) Reolink Bot: Remember to share as many details as you can now so our team can provide the most helpful first reply.

After doing that, you can leave this page and wait for the email response.
(00:41:21) R K: Following up on previous chat April 3, Request #1612497 <https://support-d.reolink.com/hc/requests/1612497>. Still cannot connect my cameras
dougmccrary

Re: Reolink pivots away from Linux?!

Post by dougmccrary »

Fun. They don't have to "support" linux, they need to support rtsp or http or rtmp...
Any way you can fire up a windows machine? Maybe that's what will somehow wake these up and subsequently work with zm.