CONSIDER IT SOLVED: Unable to connect to Reolink D800 cameras

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
TruckerDave

CONSIDER IT SOLVED: Unable to connect to Reolink D800 cameras

Post by TruckerDave »

I've decided to edit this post instead of creating another. My original is below and I'm not sure it would benefit many.

My current, and considerably more import issue is that I am getting no stream from my cameras. The log, which I had to turn off as it was getting close to 800 pages, is reporting "Connection refused". I am sure the password I supplied in the cameras rtmp address is correct. I am able to connect via the Reolink app on my phone which is WiFi connected to the same network.

I followed this persons suggestions and have nothing to show for my toubles. And there is a post by me down lower where I mention some of the things I've tried.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be happy to read them.

Nevermind. According to this page, these cameras won't work. Time to box them up and list them on eBay :(

Reolink IP cameras (except Argus Series, Reolink Go Series, Keen, Reolink Lumus, E1, B400, D400, B500, D500, B800, D800, B1200, D1200) are well compatible with third-party software.

First post, and this may not be ZoneMinder(ZM) specific enough. So go easy on me.

I have a Dell running a fresh install of a headless Ubuntu Server, LAMP and ZM (not configurerd). This PC has 2 NICs. enp0s25 is connected to my network via another machine running pfSense firewall. The second port, enp7s0 (currently unconfigured) will go out to the POE switch for my cameras. Also, I have never used ZM. So, I am still unsure of what exactly my final goals are. For now, I'll be happy just to be able to view my cameras :D

What are your thoughts on how to set up the server for best results with ZM? And maybe there is only one way? Do I need a DHCP-Server? It's own subnet? Etc.

I'm not looking for detailed instructions. Just a basic outline of how to set this computer up. Just show me the X and I'll start digging.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Last edited by TruckerDave on Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.
bbunge

Re: Best way to set up server for Zoneminder??

Post by bbunge »

The easiest is to use a single LAN port and let your DHCP server assign IP addresses to the cameras and server. A static Ip address is a good idea for the server, however. As you have a second LAN port, you can set up a separate LAN for the cameras which will be isolated from your main LAN. I would recommend installing Webmin on the ZM server as it makes setting up things like this easier. Google is your friend for finding specifics.

Note: unless you are adept at setting up VLAN's I would recommend using just one LAN subnet. Use the second LAN port on the server to connect to your normal LAN.

As you already have the server sort of set up you should be ale to get to the main GUI via a web browser. If it does not always work the first time due to incomplete ZM install instructions, I recommend you start over with a fresh Ubuntu server install and use these instructions: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... der_1.36.x Note that i recommend Mariadb instead if MySQL

If Ubuntu gives you headaches, which it does for me with its Snaps and other junk, I recommend Debian 12. ZM install instructions here: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Debian_12_B ... er_1.36.33
Andyrh

Post by Andyrh »

If you want to isolate the cameras using a 2nd NIC and dedicated switch, that is a workable solution. DHCP on the camera network is not required, but will make things much easier. You can run DHCP on the ZM server, just be sure it only listens on the 2nd NIC. For ease I have DHCP reservations for my cameras to make sure they do not change addresses. One consideration is most cameras use a WebUI for configuration, unless the ZM server has a GUI, you will need another system on that network to configure the cameras.

In my world I use pfSense to create a VLAN for ZM and the cameras and I restrict off-network access for the cameras. The ZM server and cameras are accessible from the primary VLAN which makes management easy.
Andy
o||||o

Ubuntu 22.04
ZM 1.36.33
E5-1650-v4 Xeon
16 GB RAM
6 cameras -> 54 FPS modect
burger

Post by burger »

Camera selection is important. What make / model cameras are you going to be using?
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide
TruckerDave

Post by TruckerDave »

bbunge wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:43 pm The easiest is to use a single LAN port and let your DHCP server assign IP addresses to the cameras and server. A static Ip address is a good idea for the server, however. As you have a second LAN port, you can set up a separate LAN for the cameras which will be isolated from your main LAN. I would recommend installing Webmin on the ZM server as it makes setting up things like this easier. Google is your friend for finding specifics.

Note: unless you are adept at setting up VLAN's I would recommend using just one LAN subnet. Use the second LAN port on the server to connect to your normal LAN.

As you already have the server sort of set up you should be ale to get to the main GUI via a web browser. If it does not always work the first time due to incomplete ZM install instructions, I recommend you start over with a fresh Ubuntu server install and use these instructions: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... der_1.36.x Note that i recommend Mariadb instead if MySQL

If Ubuntu gives you headaches, which it does for me with its Snaps and other junk, I recommend Debian 12. ZM install instructions here: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Debian_12_B ... er_1.36.33
Thanks for replying. I am in no way adept at setting up VLANs. But I'm learning.
I had a look at those links. Really appreciate those and will probably start over following the steps there. I've only used Ubuntu Server and Mint. Still really new to the whole Linux world. Is ZM really all that different with Debian as a base?
Andyrh wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:44 pm If you want to isolate the cameras using a 2nd NIC and dedicated switch, that is a workable solution. DHCP on the camera network is not required, but will make things much easier. You can run DHCP on the ZM server, just be sure it only listens on the 2nd NIC. For ease I have DHCP reservations for my cameras to make sure they do not change addresses. One consideration is most cameras use a WebUI for configuration, unless the ZM server has a GUI, you will need another system on that network to configure the cameras.

In my world I use pfSense to create a VLAN for ZM and the cameras and I restrict off-network access for the cameras. The ZM server and cameras are accessible from the primary VLAN which makes management easy.
Sounds like a road a may travel one day. I like easy! As I said above, I'm not sure what my final goals are for the system. But I do know I want to have a monitor showing, at minimum, the front door area at all times. Still haven't figured out how I'm going to do that just yet. I have all my PCs in use for other things. So, might have to look at adding a browser to the server. I know that can be done with Firefox. Just have to look into it.
burger wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:19 pm Camera selection is important. What make / model cameras are you going to be using?
Unfortunately, I am starting with cameras that probably won't be easy to get going with ZM. I know they are on the "compatible" list, though. Last fall I purchased a ReoLink system. The NVR and 4 D800 POE cameras . IMO (and maybe because I'm new to security systems), the cameras are just OK. But the NVR just plain sucks. You set it one way and get bombarded with notifications for every ant crawling across the deck (and don't get me started on how it is if it snows!), or go the other way just slightly and you can do jumping jacks in front of it without a peep. For the last few months, I've had the notifications turned off completely.

Once I get ZM going, I'll toss that NVR on eBay. Recoup a few dollars. I can live with no notifications for now. But I think I would like them someday. As long as they aren't like the NVR.
TruckerDave

Post by TruckerDave »

I've been doing some reading and ran across an article on "bridging" 2 NICs. Would that be useful in my case? Yes, I have a lot to learn. But it "seems" like it would simplify the process as the 2 NICs would sort of act as one. Of course, with my limited networking knowledge, I'm probably not even close to what bridging is all about. :roll:
TruckerDave

Post by TruckerDave »

bbunge wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:43 pm If Ubuntu gives you headaches, which it does for me with its Snaps and other junk, I recommend Debian 12. ZM install instructions here: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Debian_12_B ... er_1.36.33
I read up on Debian and decided to give it a go. Been a pain getting it talking to my system. However, it runs much faster than Ubuntu on my machine. Haven't installed ZM as yet. But probably will tomorrow.
Andyrh

Post by Andyrh »

I would avoid bridging unless there is no other way. It adds complexity that should not be needed.
If your firewall has a spare NIC it would be far easier to add a network to it for the cameras.
Andy
o||||o

Ubuntu 22.04
ZM 1.36.33
E5-1650-v4 Xeon
16 GB RAM
TruckerDave

Post by TruckerDave »

Andyrh wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:50 pm I would avoid bridging unless there is no other way. It adds complexity that should not be needed.
If your firewall has a spare NIC it would be far easier to add a network to it for the cameras.
Thank you. I'll certainly look in to that. Still getting the kinks worked out on the Debian install and getting ZM installed.
TruckerDave

Post by TruckerDave »

Well, I took Andyrh's advice and have this going through my pfSense firewall.

However, I've got the dreaded "Connection refused" error all over my ZM log file. I think this is a pfSense issue. But I have a rule set up that should cover it. Basically, allow my ZM server to connect on ANY port the cameras use. So, not sure what's going on. And it just occurred to me, that it could also be an issue with UFW on my ZM server. I'll be back!

Nope. Not UFW. From what I am deducing from the reolink app on my phone, it connects to the cams on port 9000. So, I've even went in and set apache to listen on that one. Added the port to the URL. Changed one of the port settings in the ZM settings. Nothing. Hmmmmmm.

Andyrh wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:50 pm I would avoid bridging unless there is no other way. It adds complexity that should not be needed.
Andyrh

Re: Unable to connect to Reolink D820A cameras

Post by Andyrh »

Are the cameras and ZM server on the same network? If so, it is not pfSense.
If they are on different networks, you will need to add a rule to the network with ZM to all access to the cameras. No rules are needed on the camera network. Start with a simple ANY:ANY rule and tighten from there.

A screenshot of the rules would be helpful.
Andy
o||||o

Ubuntu 22.04
ZM 1.36.33
E5-1650-v4 Xeon
16 GB RAM
TruckerDave

Post by TruckerDave »

Andyrh wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:30 pm Are the cameras and ZM server on the same network? If so, it is not pfSense.
If they are on different networks, you will need to add a rule to the network with ZM to all access to the cameras. No rules are needed on the camera network. Start with a simple ANY:ANY rule and tighten from there.

A screenshot of the rules would be helpful.
Yup. ZM and cams are all on 192.168.1

Rules are any/any

Still nothing.

I know there are folks out there that "claim" they got these working. But I haven't found anyone who has shared how they did it.
Andyrh

Post by Andyrh »

It is not the FW since they are on the same network. I have different cameras so I cannot help there.
Andy
o||||o

Ubuntu 22.04
ZM 1.36.33
E5-1650-v4 Xeon
16 GB RAM
burger

Post by burger »

With some models of Reolink cameras, people have reported that it's necessary to enable RTSP on the web interface to get them to start the RTSP server on port 554. For example, I searched the forum and this came up: viewtopic.php?p=131898&hilit=reolink+en ... sp#p131898

I can't confirm whether this will work with your model. I would suggest you read the user manual for that camera per https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Finding_Camera_Stream_Paths

EDIT: I just checked the user manual and it doesn't say anything about RTSP (not a good sign). Also the link you posted on Sunday: https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/ar ... s-Support/ Seems to indicate these cameras won't work with ZM. I've updated https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Reolink

You could try posting in Reolink community. I think that's about your best bet, short of reverse engineering the cameras. But you are better off just buying supported cameras.
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide
TruckerDave

Post by TruckerDave »

burger wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:43 pm With some models of Reolink cameras, people have reported that it's necessary to enable RTSP on the web interface to get them to start the RTSP server on port 554. For example, I searched the forum and this came up: viewtopic.php?p=131898&hilit=reolink+en ... sp#p131898

I can't confirm whether this will work with your model. I would suggest you read the user manual for that camera per https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Finding_Camera_Stream_Paths

EDIT: I just checked the user manual and it doesn't say anything about RTSP (not a good sign). Also the link you posted on Sunday: https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/ar ... s-Support/ Seems to indicate these cameras won't work with ZM. I've updated https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Reolink

You could try posting in Reolink community. I think that's about your best bet, short of reverse engineering the cameras. But you are better off just buying supported cameras.
Yeah, I tried RTSP and RTMP links.

Buying new is the plan. I took the cams and NVR and boxed them up a few hours ago. They'll go on marketplace or eBay.