purgewhenfull does not list matches but works in the background

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
Luan

purgewhenfull does not list matches but works in the background

Post by Luan »

Hi,

I added a new storage area according to the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElXdmx9FsKQ

When I open the filter and click on "List Matches" no results are found, but in the background zoneminder has reduced disk space.

What can it be?
Andyrh

Re: purgewhenfull does not list matches but works in the background

Post by Andyrh »

The filter runs in the background successfully every 10(?) minutes. When you run it, is there anything to match?
Try setting the threshold lower to force matches.
Andy
o||||o

Ubuntu 22.04
ZM 1.36.33
E5-1650-v4 Xeon
16 GB RAM
6 cameras -> 54 FPS modect
Luan

Post by Luan »

I don't know how often, but the filter runs in the background as I see disk space decreasing. However, if I put matches to list in the filter, nothing appears. There are no errors in the logs either.
Andyrh

Post by Andyrh »

Search your log for zmfiler_# Where the number is the filter number. This will show you what the filter has done.

When my PurgeWhenOld filter is run to list matches it shows nothing. If I change the age from -60 to -50 it lists many matches. Have you done something similar?
Andy
o||||o

Ubuntu 22.04
ZM 1.36.33
E5-1650-v4 Xeon
16 GB RAM
Luan

Post by Luan »

Yes, see the attachment.
Attachments
Capturar.JPG
Capturar.JPG (122.28 KiB) Viewed 302 times
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Well, when the filter runs in the background it deletes the first 100 matches. The question is how far below 20% does this take your storage? If you run the filter manually and the disk is not over 20% you will get no matches.

I find purge when full to not be a good way to manage storage. It is better used as a backup to keep the system operating if other purge filters fail. O purge events based on days not disk percent. I also set the purge when full to 85% as I've had bad experiences with it set at 95%.
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

I also set the purge when full to 85% as I've had bad experiences with it set at 95%.
Yes. That's due to the default 5% reserve when formatting. So 95% + 5% = 100%. So out of space between filter runs is easily possible.
93 or 94 should be OK, at least most of the time.
Andyrh

Post by Andyrh »

From you screen shot I am not sure why it would not have matches. Disco1 is at 45% and the filter is set to 20%. I would expect matches from what I am seeing.
Andy
o||||o

Ubuntu 22.04
ZM 1.36.33
E5-1650-v4 Xeon
16 GB RAM
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

From you screen shot I am not sure why it would not have matches. Disco1 is at 45% and the filter is set to 20%. I would expect matches from what I am seeing.
ISTR the diff is the test uses php and the actual filter uses real sql. or something like that.
Anyway, I've seen this since forever, and just test it/them IRL, monitoring closely.