architecture request for advice

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)
alabamatoy

architecture request for advice

Post by alabamatoy »

So I have a very old ZM server, very throughput limited, it's an i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz, 4 cores, 8GB. OS is out of support, ZM 1.37.3. I have now a new I7 20-core 32GB monster as a replacement. I also have a coral TPU USB stick which I have never used. My current ZM has 12 monitors but I can only turn on about 8 before the current old server starts getting overloaded. Motion detection really clobbers it, and in my experience never really worked outdoors anyhow.

I want to implement ZM Event Server to do image detection to alert on only certain things. So having these 3 devices, how should I distro functionality for best results? I'll put latest Ubuntu on the servers, but the Coral TPU is whatever it is.

Advice appreciated....
dougmccrary

Re: architecture request for advice

Post by dougmccrary »

My current ZM has 12 monitors but I can only turn on about 8 before the current old server starts getting overloaded.
Doing what? Just constant record, or?
alabamatoy

Post by alabamatoy »

dougmccrary wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:03 am
My current ZM has 12 monitors but I can only turn on about 8 before the current old server starts getting overloaded.
Doing what? Just constant record, or?
Mine are currently set to monitor and record on alert. The alerts come from PIRs outside of ZM. But just turning on all the monitors will drive the server waaay into the red. Setting them all to record results in horribly choppy/jittery video. Yes, the cameras (not the monitors) are set to 10 frames/sec.

My new server is almost ready to rock and roll. Im wondering how to use the old server (which will have its OS upgraded) and the Coral stick (if at all?) with an intent to monitor, record (FIFO, maybe a weeks worth) and alert me on certain things, like people and cars and trucks.
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

12 cameras on four cores is really pushing it. 3cams/core.
So I'd definitely put the main system on the 20 core - .6cams/core, which is quite comfortable.

Then experiment with the old system. Isaac has said GPU performance is disappointing, so I don't know how or if the TPU would be useful.

Have fun...
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

TPU should be great for AI. However my TPU (Intel movidius) is discontinued. Also I think in the end Asker was happier with his GPU than the Coral GPU. I'm not sure of the state of the code, but it did work.