Axis M7016

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
beppuz

Axis M7016

Post by beppuz »

I got 2 pieces and made them work using this source configuration:
- Remote protocol: HTTP
- Remote method: Simple
- Remote hostname: user:password@axis_ip
- Remote port: 80
- Remote URL: /axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?camera=[one of 1, 2, 3, 4]
- Resolution: 704 x 576

I had an hard time figuring out how to configure each M7016: it comes with 16 BNC sockets and I thought they were to configure on the same interface (since there is only one network socket on the device). They are instead 4 groups made of 4 sockets each. Each group is to configure reaching its own IP address.
I bought used devices, so I had to reset each one to factory defaults and, guess what, each group has its own reset button :shock:

My 2 cents
makers_mark

Re: Axis M7016

Post by makers_mark »

That's cool, and thanks for posting! I looked up the datasheet for that (it's basically a router with video encoders) and I think they break out the groups into four for what they called "quad view". All D1 resolution up to the quad view. I don't know how many cameras you have on the BNC end, is it more than four, or all one group? There may be a different URL that links to the quad view for each group, I don't know and am just saying (it's not practical as a monitor in certain applications and others it may be). Very Cool!

Edit:
Reading more into that, can you try 'camera=quad' in the url just for s's and g's?
Also, does ffmpeg not work as far as the source type??

Edit 2:
Like this ffmpeg source setup:

Code: Select all

rtsp://user:password:554@axis_ip/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?camera=1
Or quad:

Code: Select all

rtsp://user:password:554@axis_ip/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?camera=quad
Set the resolution to 1536x1152 too, maybe.
beppuz

Post by beppuz »

It's basically an enclosure of 4 encoders, 4 cameras each.
Each encoder/group has its own ip address.

I confirm it is working as FFMPEG source, with this url:
http://[user]:[pass]@[ip]/mjpg/[#]/video.mjpg

where # is one of:
- quad

The "quad" channel streams a composite of the four cameras.
burger

Post by burger »

It being a combination of 4 encoders and the paths would like up with the Axis encoders I've used before: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Axis#AXIS_M7014 It sounds like they just packaged 4 of the 7014's into the 7016. Is it only one ethernet port though? That would be funny to have 4 ip addresses on one port.

Of course, it's always better to use the RTSP paths when possible. I didn't know about the quad path (or if I did, I forgot it).
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide
beppuz

Post by beppuz »

Is it only one ethernet port though? That would be funny to have 4 ip addresses on one port.
Yes, only one NIC whith 4 (MAC _and_ IP) addresses.
Multiple addresses on the same hw port is no surprise in linux (and even Windows).
beppuz

Post by beppuz »

URL for rtsp video stream:

rtsp://[user]:[pass]@[IP]/axis-media/media.amp?camera=[camera#]

credits to @iconnor