"Unable to open input rtsp" from external network

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
mamaraci

"Unable to open input rtsp" from external network

Post by mamaraci »

Hi, everyone!

Can you please help me, I can’t set up ZoneMinder with remote cameras installed at the village house. A server with ZM is at home the city, cameras are at my village house 140km away. I want to connect them as remote Sources.
When the cameras and server were at home, within the same local network, everything worked perfectly.

The cameras are from Aliexpress, like this, if that’s important.
link

When everything was at home, within the same network, the cameras connected perfectly to ZM and worked, with a Source of this like: rtsp://admin:pass@91.77.yy.xx/live/ch00_0

The server stays at home. I have an external public fixed IP.
When the cameras were at home, it was possible to connect them from the outside networks, from a mobile phone, for example, from VLC, URL like this rtsp://admin:pass@91.77.yy.xx/live/ch00_0 was opening just fine.

Then, I moved the cameras to the village and connect everything there.

Internet is 4G LTE there, everything is connected via "Keenetic" router. DDNS is connected as well, with the camera is visible from the outside, and its web intreface is also accessible:
web-interface
The proprietary application on the mobile phone also sees the cameras.

Then I've made port forwarding and domain name like this within village house local network.
forwa1.png
forwa1.png (70.01 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
forwa2.png
forwa2.png (71.31 KiB) Viewed 2538 times

I've tried to connect the cameras as a source to the server that is left at home in the city. Like this:

rtsp://admin:pass@cam1-80.malinovaya.keenetic.link/live/ch00_0
rtsp://admin:pass@cam1-554.malinovaya.keenetic.link/live/ch00_0
rtsp://admin:pass@cam1-8899.malinovaya.keenetic.link/live/ch00_0

but none of the options work, in the ZM logs it writes like this:

Unable to open input rtsp://cam1-8899.malinovaya.keenetic.link:8899/live/ch00_0 due to: Immediate exit requested

I checked the local forums if the LTE provider restricts these specific ports / does any other limiting activities on the video-stream - as far as I found, this was not confrimed.

What am I doing wrong?
Probably, am I missing anything very obvious, can you please advice?
Magic919

Re: "Unable to open input rtsp" from external network

Post by Magic919 »

The cameras and the modem appear to be on completely different subnets. Was that planned?
-
mamaraci

Post by mamaraci »

Magic919 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:15 pm The cameras and the modem appear to be on completely different subnets. Was that planned?
thanks for the reply, Magic919!

mmm, yes, 192.168.8.1 is just a webinterface of the modem (huawei 8372) forwarded for the access from external net. camera is 1.76 (the second is here as well). is that an issue?
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

Depends. If you mean you are expecting it to just work, then probably not.

The modem/router would usually be a subnet of 192.168.8.0/24. The cameras are outside this and it’s probably not designed to route traffic to 192.186.1.0/24 where the cameras live.
-
mamaraci

Post by mamaraci »

Magic919 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:00 pm Depends. If you mean you are expecting it to just work, then probably not.
The modem/router would usually be a subnet of 192.168.8.0/24. The cameras are outside this and it’s probably not designed to route traffic to 192.186.1.0/24 where the cameras live.
that would be great, you are right!
i think, this is not the cause of my issue. yes, modem 8372 is creating its own subnet at 8.0/24. But, I'm not actually using it.
router (separate one, not the internal modem one), Keenetic Extra, is using modem just as lte usb modem, and creating its own network, with 192.168.1.1 being the Keenetic router address, and the subnet, where all devices (including cameras) live is 192.168.1.x

so can the network design be the cause of my issue?
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

Ok. So you have a modem ( which is also a router). Then you have another router that you actually use as a router.

I’d expect the ‘modem’ to have an option like ‘bridge mode’. This means it just connects to Internet and passes all traffic to your actual router. Can it do that?
-
mamaraci

Post by mamaraci »

Magic919 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:25 am option like ‘bridge mode’
Yes, I think this is what happeing, it works in bridge mode, right.

Actually, I've managed to solve the issue. Probably, not the simplest way, but it works, I think. I've created ipsec site-2-site conneciton between home and village networks, and ZM sees the cameras like they are just next to it, in the same subnet. Everything is working perfectly. Thanks for your time and efforts, @Magic919!