New ZoneMinder installation needs too much ressources

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
terrano74

New ZoneMinder installation needs too much ressources

Post by terrano74 »

Hello,
I installed ZoneMinder to replace an outdated Synology with Surveillance Station. For this I created a VM with Debian 12 and ZoneMinder. Cameras (currently 4) are all from INSTAR 5907HD (stream 720p 24bit colour). So far it works very well, but...
The resource consumption of the VM is exorbitant (8 CPU cores and 64GB ram), and that with only 4 cameras. And the memory consumption is also far too high for the image data. Approx. 20-25GB/h for 4 cameras - the Surveillance Station is much more economical.
In order to solve the CPU problem, I have already reduced the areas for motion detection to relatively small areas - but this has only had little effect.
Now the question for me is, of course, what am I doing wrong? What more information do you need from me to narrow down the problem further?
Thank you very much for your help.
Micha
dougmccrary

Re: New ZoneMinder installation needs too much ressources

Post by dougmccrary »

You can probably reduce framerate at the camera, and try 32bit color for starters.
terrano74

Post by terrano74 »

Hello,
I try these settings:
Analysis Framerate 5 FPS
Max Framerate 10 FPS
With that CPU is a little bit better (8 Cores 80% load)
and the 4 Cams take ap 15GB/h - better, but far away from ok
On the Synology I can store over 1 year stream on 3 TB, in Zoneminder 4-5 days... I can't see, what I make wrong :-(

He still creates his own pictures for the events in the folder. Actually, I want it to record a continuous stream and only mark the events for me.
Is Mocord the wrong mode for this?
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Are you recording jpegs? try analysis images only. Or, if you don't need live view, turn off completely.