Motion Record Settings

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
fish2222

Motion Record Settings

Post by fish2222 »

Hey all. So, I have played with these settings for a while, and it seems like I always have issues with this one camera not recording when I walk anywhere in the zones. It will pick up in the closer (bottom) zones some, but almost never in the top (further away zones). Any ideas what I need to change? I have 4 other cameras with these same settings with 4-6 zones and they all seem to work fine with these settings. The blue circles are where I do get picked up on motion the most.
cam3.JPG
cam3.JPG (160.67 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
dougmccrary

Re: Motion Record Settings

Post by dougmccrary »

Big thing is change units to pixels from percent.
Don't see the res, but smaller is easier on the cpu.
Viher

Post by Viher »

I changed from percent to pixels on my previous hardware, it is much better way to get accurate settings for motion detection. For example pixel counts that remain when you change from percent to pixels, were very much bigger than after tuning motion detection with pixels.

I added new zone, changed it's size to reflect expected object sizes to get accurate pixel counts(zone size in pixels), then deleted it after done. False alarms dropped to minimum and according to tests I made, it did not seem to miss any motion I wished it to see.
montagdude

Post by montagdude »

Turn on analysis frames and set the sensitivity really high (low minimum alarmed pixels, filtered pixels, and blob area; no maximum). Remove preclusive zones, if you have any. You should then get recordings on even slight movements. Scroll through the stats for the alarm frames you get to see what the alarmed pixels, filtered pixels, and blob areas actually were, and use that information to tune your settings to capture just what you want without too many false events.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

In master I recently changed the defaults to 0.01% for all those minimums.

Seriously instead of 3%, 0.01%.
Andyrh

Post by Andyrh »

After you change to pixels what I tend to do is temporarily create a zone about the size of the object to be detected. This will give you an approximate pixel count. This trick will get you close then it is a matter of looking at the analysis frames and adjusting.
Andy
o||||o

Ubuntu 22.04
ZM 1.36.33
E5-1650-v4 Xeon
16 GB RAM
6 cameras -> 54 FPS modect