neo-zmes or legacy ?

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)
timf

neo-zmes or legacy ?

Post by timf »

Hi

I need to rebuild my ZM system including zmes / push over and ml wiith gpu all on one server and am trying to decide if I should use the tried and tested legacy zmes or try the new neo-zmes.

The neo-zmes looks as though it could offer some performance gains but I'm a little concerned about it maturity before I commit to investing time and effort in getting it to work as required.

Looking at the git hub there doesn't seem to have been many updates - I wonder if this means it mature or has it been abandoned ?

Any thoughts / suggestions ?

Thanks Tim
iconnor

Re: neo-zmes or legacy ?

Post by iconnor »

I believe neo-zmes is fairly stable, but I also think that development has gone on to a new codebase.
timf

Post by timf »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think I'll build both and see how I get on.

I've prepared a couple of Ubuntu 22.04 SSD's with Cuda and CV2 already installed and working.

I plan on overlaying them with ZM1.36 before adding the zmes variants.

Wish me luck !

Regards Tim
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

I'm still running the Asker version.

The Neo one is of interest, but a lot of changes have been made since the version in Github and presumably none of it has been committed. Once he's ready to release it, I'll have a fresh look.
-
timf

Post by timf »

ok thanks for that tip.

As it happens I've been building the legacy first and making progress.

I have Ubuntu 22.04, cuda, cv2, ssh,duckdns.org and zm 1.36 all installed and working nicely ready to overlay letsencrypt, zmes and ML.

So I did a backup to an identical drive using DD and bs=2k, both drives are 480GB SSD's.

The back up ran ok but ZM wouldn't start, seems as though the db is corrupt / mysql won't start and zmpkg.pl crashes at line 34

Very odd as dd normally works ok, so currently down this rabbit hole trying to figure out why my backup isn't a back up !
I think I'll try dd again but use a much large drive for the back up.
Edit did another back up with dd and this time it worked ok.

Regards Tim