2 NICs - make zoneminder accessible only from one?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
JimS

2 NICs - make zoneminder accessible only from one?

Post by JimS »

I added a second NIC to isolate cameras from the internet. It works for that but plugged a PC into the isolated network and found that I could log into the zoneminder web page using the address from the other network. For example:
192.168.1.4 zone minder main network address
192.168.2.x Camera network
While connected to the camera network if I enter 192.168.1.4 in the browser I get the zoneminder page. Maybe I am being overly cautious but thinking I should disable that. I wasn't able to get to any other addresses, LAN or WAN, at least the ones I tried.

May be more of an OS issue. Running Ubuntu 18.04.
Magic919

Re: 2 NICs - make zoneminder accessible only from one?

Post by Magic919 »

Yes, it isn’t really a ZM question.

You need to work out what you are trying to achieve.

So far, you have two networks and no real isolation. If you isolate them too much, ZM won’t function. You could probably have a look at setting up firewall rules on the server.
-
daciba

Re: 2 NICs - make zoneminder accessible only from one?

Post by daciba »

JimS wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:50 pm I added a second NIC to isolate cameras from the internet. It works for that but plugged a PC into the isolated network and found that I could log into the zoneminder web page using the address from the other network. For example: papa's burgeria
192.168.1.4 zone minder main network address
192.168.2.x Camera network
While connected to the camera network if I enter 192.168.1.4 in the browser I get the zoneminder page. Maybe I am being overly cautious but thinking I should disable that. I wasn't able to get to any other addresses, LAN or WAN, at least the ones I tried.

May be more of an OS issue. Running Ubuntu 18.04.
Thank you! You need to connect by Internet