Plate recognizer tutorial

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)
JasonBorn

Plate recognizer tutorial

Post by JasonBorn »

Hi,

is there a tutorial for the plate recognizer? I alway got error 403 but i turned plate recognizer off.
Darkmage

Re: Plate recognizer tutorial

Post by Darkmage »

Kinda sorta. There's this post on the process on Medium. It covers most of it.

I have it working, sort of. I registered for a developer/free tier at PlateRecognizer.com and received an API key. First, I plug the PlateRecongizer API key into the secrets.ini file. Then I edit the "objectconfig.ini" file and in the "alpr" section I tell it to use the cloud based ALPR routine and to use the plate_recongizer API.

Still in the objectconfig.ini, I then created a monitor-specific configuration section for the monitor I wanted to use for ALPR. In that portion, I set

Code: Select all

detection_sequence = object,alpr
to enable the ALPR routine after the object detection (the generic sequence is set to just "object"). This will only send potential license plates to the service and keep me from sending pictures of my back yard to the ALPR service when the dog triggers the motion detection.

There is a lot of tweaking going on that I'm still working through, but the basic workflow is there. I have run into several snags. Such as the usage of both the alarm frames and the snapshot frames is incompatible with the PlateRecognizer API service, as you will get throttled for hitting their API too rapidly. Or the frame is resized down to ridiculously small before uploading to the PlateRecognizer service, making ALPR unlikely. But just getting your image sent to the service and a response is a triumph. And when it works, that's a hell of a good feeling.
JasonBorn

Re: Plate recognizer tutorial

Post by JasonBorn »

Thank you. I will test it the next days.