Missed Events

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
random_string

Missed Events

Post by random_string »

I'm running ZM on an old acer laptop (debian fresh install), which is connected to the network via 2.4ghz wifi. I have two cameras. A amcrest PoE camera connected and powered via ethernet, and a wansview W6 connected via 2.4ghz wifi. The settings on both cameras are the same, except where noted, as follows:
Modect
Ffmpeg
12.5% outdoor image blend
25% alamr reference image blend
http tunnel
32 bit color
wansview 1920x1980
amcrest 2688x1520
Normal
Blend 25% deinterlacing
analysis images only
H264 camera passthrough
Buffers: 50, 0, 5, 5, 0, 10
They both have only 1 zone, limiting the motion detection to our property line.

Here are the settings in the zones:
All
Active
Percent
Blobs
25 minmax pixel
3-3 filter width height
68 zone area (greyed out)
3-75 minmax alarmed area
3-75 minmax filtered area
2 minmax blob area
1 minmax blobs
0 overload
0 extend alarm frame count (greyed out)

The problem is, both cameras often miss events. One might capture us leaving to walk the dog, but won't capture us coming back. Sometimes one captures us leaving, but only the other catches us coming back. They often miss our cars coming and going! I thought perhaps the wifi was cutting out, so I connected the amcrest via ethernet cable, but it is having the same problem. I thought perhaps the laptop wifi was cutting out, but it misses events even when I can see the movement on the live feed. I thought perhaps the laptop is running out of memory or maxing out the cpu, but the system monitor doesn't show them maxing out. Is there perhaps a setting in ZM I should change? Do I need to install different software to handle the events, like the events server perhaps? I'm at a loss.
iconnor

Re: Missed Events

Post by iconnor »

In zones, switch to pixels, reduce minimum area/pixels/blobs etc to less than 1000. I find either 500 or 1000 works well.

Also upgrade. 1.34 is no longer support and is vulnerable.
random_string

Post by random_string »

Done. Is there a simple method to upgrade? I spent so much time setting this up, and it was quite an involved process. The idea of spending another month fighting to upgrade makes my head hurt.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

go tp https://zmrepo.zoneminder.com and follow the instructions. Once the apt source is setup it should be a matter of apt-get install zoneminder.

Make sure you have a backup of your db if you ever want to downgrade.
KimLimon

Post by KimLimon »

It sounds quite frustrating! Have you considered checking the camera placement and angles? Sometimes a slight adjustment can make all the difference. Additionally, ensure that the cameras have a clear line of sight to the areas you want to monitor, including the driveway for capturing your cars coming and going. Oh, by the way, speaking of events, have you tried capturing any exciting moments at a local restaurant or bar? They often have lively atmospheres, and you might come across a DJ who sings cool beats. It could be a fun way to test your cameras and see if they capture those dynamic environments effectively.