Corrupted Time Shifted Footage

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
milonic

Corrupted Time Shifted Footage

Post by milonic »

Hi Guys,

Got an odd problem with ZM version 1.36.32 on Fedora 37.

I'm not sure if this started after I added more cameras(2) or if it started after I upgraded the other day but I have a problem with footage that has been merged with footage from a different time of the day and I'm struggling to get to the bottom of it. Have changed many Buffer settings but none have worked so far.

Basically, the footage (for example) starts showing events from 01:05am for a few seconds and then jumps to the correct time of 07:35am. So something appears to be corrupt and it's also doing in on all the 15 cameras on the system.

Please see attached screenshot of some events

zoneminder.jpg
zoneminder.jpg (526.98 KiB) Viewed 297 times

It's like something has latched onto 12:00:05am and won't let go. It's showing a duration of over 7 hours but the (duplicated) footage is actually only a few seconds.

Anybody know what's going on here?

Cheers,
Andy
iconnor

Re: Corrupted Time Shifted Footage

Post by iconnor »

When we start to write an event, we have to go back in the queue and find a "keyframe", a full image to start the recording with.

If your systems was a very bad way... it might be dropping packets in order to not consume all of ram... with a stuck frame at the beginning of the queue.

This would be a very bad situation and your logs will be full of errors and warnings.
milonic

Post by milonic »

Thanks for the reply, it's most appreciated.

I am a little confused by it though, not sure what "If your systems was a very bad way." means but I guess you are generally referring to a memory issue.

So, what I have done is changed all cameras' Maximum Image Buffer Size to 50, as some were quite low, and then deleted all previous events and logs. Basically, starting from scratch expect for camera settings and zones.

It's still doing it, as you can see from the attached logs.

zoneminder2.jpg
zoneminder2.jpg (466.5 KiB) Viewed 262 times

What is it I need to change or look at?

I looked at the logs and there are currently no errors or warning, so nothing to go on. Before I reset the events I did notice several segfaults but nothing now.

This system has 16gb ram and up till recently was working perfectly.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andy
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Try increasing MaxImageBuffer count even more. It will only use it if needed. SO if you start running out of ram, then that will be another clue.

If your camera has a keyframe interval larger (let's say it's h264+, then it will be 250) then this will happen.

Again though, ,your logs should be FILLED with complaints.