Linked cameras not recording for almost 30 secs after event start

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
allvets

Linked cameras not recording for almost 30 secs after event start

Post by allvets »

I'm fairly new to Zoneminder and have learned a ton going through this forum and others, but at times feel lost. I realize the flexibility in this system and understand this flexibility comes at a cost to "ease of use"... In that regard, please excuse my possible missing of the obvious :D

I am using ZM 1.36 and have 4 cameras setup: 2 cameras focused on license plates, and 2 overview cameras. I set the plate cameras to Modect and link its' overview camera. However when an event is triggered on the plate cameras, the overview camera does not start recording for almost 30 secs later (according to the timestamp on the events). I have the Pre-alarm frames set to 120 but is not enough.

I've read this bug report https://github.com/ZoneMinder/zoneminder/issues/3393 which addresses exactly what I'm experiencing but there is no resolution. It seems the issue is that analysis is occurring before the alert to the linked camera? Is there any way to fire this link alert prior to analysis? By the time analysis is done, the vehicle/person is gone.

I'm running four cameras on a Raspberry Pi and if I set all 4 to Modect then I run into zmc not keeping up with decoding.
I'm also running mlapi on a second Raspberry Pi to reduce the load on the ZM Pi.

In the link, it mentions possibly using MQTT to fire the overview camera. I'm not familiar with MQTT and would rather not have another process running on the ZM Pi. Can this be run on the mlapi Pi? And, if so, what would be needed to fire the overview cameras?

Or am I in left field? Is there an easier way to resolve this?

Thanks in advance
dougmccrary

Re: Linked cameras not recording for almost 30 secs after event start

Post by dougmccrary »

Not really an answer, but maybe you could run the overview in record? Until you figure out what you’re really going for?