zmNinja live feed is laggy/jumpy, but fine from a browser

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
bibbity

zmNinja live feed is laggy/jumpy, but fine from a browser

Post by bibbity »

I'm wanting to use Zoneminder as a live feed into my Hikvision cameras (no recordings, object detections etc needed).

I've got Zoneminder itself set-up with three cameras via RTSP streams.

When I view the camera feeds on the browser, everything works great, but using zmNinja causes the stream to be very laggy/jumpy.

I've tried this on three devices; Mac, iPhone and iPad. I was trying to use zmNinja on the iPhone and iPad, but it was too laggy. Using the browser on both saw a big improvement.

Is there a setting in Zoneminder or zmNinja that I'm missing to make the app work better?
apber

Re: zmNinja live feed is laggy/jumpy, but fine from a browser

Post by apber »

As far as I know zmninja is still abandoned. Yet it's been working for me mostly fine all this time (fingers crossed). At most the app will refresh the feed once every second. The browser can do it much faster since it does have to go through the API.
asker

Post by asker »

I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
bibbity

Post by bibbity »

Thanks both, it’s improved with multi port (though, I had to set it up differently as I’m using the docker image, which uses NGINX) but now the streams randomly stop working in the montage view.

zmNinja logs show a “killing all streams in montage to save memory” log around the same time. I did fiddle with the dev settings a bit, so I might just reset everything back to default and see if it works with multi port like that.
pepex7

Post by pepex7 »

were you able to solve it? It happens to me that the streaming is choppy in zoneminder 1.37.45 (and also in zmninja)