RTSP Stream pauses every other second during live view

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
_Starchaser

RTSP Stream pauses every other second during live view

Post by _Starchaser »

Hello, I have 2 cameras running on ZM currently- both Reolink 4K cameras. Everything works perfectly except the live view seems to "pause" every other second (not sure how else to describe it). The cameras' FPS are set to max everything (4k, 25 FPS, ~8k bitrate). I've tried lowering both resolution/fps all the way to as low as the cams will go- the pause remains. I've tried messing with the buffer size, bitrate in options, and a bunch of other things to no avail. I'm confident its a ZM issue because when I try to stream via browser or even VLC with the RTSP links, the stream works flawlessly (no pause, buttery smooth). I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what it could be?

Additional info that might help: I'm just running the cameras in Monitor mode currently, ZM is installed on an Ubuntu 22.04 VM on proxmox. It has a good deal of resources dedicated to it (8 cores, 16gb RAM). On average Load is around 2.0 or so. Also while the console screen says 25FPS / 1.01 MB/s, when I actually go into the live view, the FPS is usually 15 out of 25.

Very grateful for help, thank you
iconnor

Re: RTSP Stream pauses every other second during live view

Post by iconnor »

jpeg encoding a 4k image takes a surprising amount of cpu.I'm not surprised it can't to 25fps.
_Starchaser

Post by _Starchaser »

What amount of resources do you think I should allocate to get it to function smoothly? I've given it 12 cores before and the issue persists (with no decrease in the magnitude of the problem).
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Unless you really need all the jpegs, try something like this
Screenshot 2022-10-04 at 21-05-47 ZMX - Monitor - test1.png
Screenshot 2022-10-04 at 21-05-47 ZMX - Monitor - test1.png (139.14 KiB) Viewed 171 times
or turn jpegs completely off.