Zoneminder failing to install on Linux Mint 20.3

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
piflipper

Zoneminder failing to install on Linux Mint 20.3

Post by piflipper »

Hi,
I was having issues with zoneminder so I removed and purged it (using apt) , also deleted events folder. When I tried to install it, via apt, I get the following error:

Setting up zoneminder (1.36.26-focal1) ...
detected systemd
Detected db service is mysql.service
Checking for db
Db exists.
Updating permissions for user zmuser@localhost
Socket.pm did not return a true value at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.30/Sys/Syslog.pm line 10.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.30/Sys/Syslog.pm line 10.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Logger.pm line 107.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Logger.pm line 107.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Database.pm line 67.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Database.pm line 67.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 76.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 150.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/zmupdate.pl line 74.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/zmupdate.pl line 74.
Error updating db.
dpkg: error processing package zoneminder (--configure):
installed zoneminder package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1

I have confirmed that the dbuser zmuser exists and has the correct password, from zm.conf.

I'm running Linux Mint 20.3 and kernel 5.4.0-126-generic if that's any help.

Any pointers to resolve this would be appreciated.

Cheers
Ian
dougmccrary

Re: Zoneminder failing to install on Linux Mint 20.3

Post by dougmccrary »

Perhaps the original problems were with the db.
Unless you have something else on it, I'd try reinstalling that (or maybe just blow away the zm part), and retry zm.
piflipper

Post by piflipper »

Thanks for the suggestion,

I've tried dropping the zm database and trying the install again same error.

I've re-installed mysql, again no change in the zm installation error.

I can login to mysql as zmuser using the default password and I can display 34 tables. So the zm install is getting that far.

Any other ideas?

Cheers
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

I'd suggest running the zmupdate.pl by hand. Start with a -f to freshen up the config. Could be worth trying the command with a more privileged DB user (-u -p).
-
piflipper

Post by piflipper »

Magic919 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:51 pm I'd suggest running the zmupdate.pl by hand. Start with a -f to freshen up the config. Could be worth trying the command with a more privileged DB user (-u -p).
Thank you,

This got me on the correct route. I took the opportunity to replace a failing drive and did a fresh install, similar issues. So tried this suggestion and zoneminder finally started, which meant I could follow the rest of the docs re apache etc.

All working, so again many thanks.