Ubuntu upgrade to v22 LTS killed Zoneminder

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
Sento

Ubuntu upgrade to v22 LTS killed Zoneminder

Post by Sento »

Hi

I just upgraded from Ubuntu 21 LTS to 22 LTS and now Zoneminder fails to start. It looks like a Zoneminder file has been deleted (full search does not find it at all)
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support
░░
░░ The unit zoneminder.service has entered the 'failed' state with result 'exit-code'.
Aug 14 13:30:13 zm1 zoneminder[9648]: Starting ZoneMinder:
Aug 14 13:30:13 zm1 zoneminder[9656]: /etc/init.d/zoneminder: 29: /usr/bin/zmpkg.pl: not found
Aug 14 13:30:12 zm1 systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Control ZoneMinder as a Service.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit zoneminder.service has failed

Is there anyway to reinstall just that file without disrupting the rest of the configuration i.e. MySQL etc?

TIA
Magic919

Re: Ubuntu upgrade to v22 LTS killed Zoneminder

Post by Magic919 »

Make sure you have the iconnor PPA and run the Zoneminder install.
-
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Looks like zoneminder isn't installed anymore.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:iconnor/zoneminder-1.36
sudo apt-get install zoneminder
Sento

Post by Sento »

Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately i ended up reinstalling php, apache and zoneminder having encountered issues with the overall interaction of the three in combination with a raft of system changes inhibiting startups etc I spent over 12 hours on this and will do a fresh "from the ground up" system rebuild as soon as is practicable.

It would be remiss of me not to give a special thank you to you Isaac for all the great work you do in providing the Zoneminder resources as you do.
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

I’m sticking with 20.04. Unless you have a need of the later stuff, it works well and is still supported for a few years.
-
webdriver

Post by webdriver »

Fresh new install Ubuntu 22 LTS + ZM without any issue -- didn't try upgrading because you never know a single package fail could kill the environment. So save myself by just grab a new HDD and install.
smithjw1

Post by smithjw1 »

Note to OP. You say you upgraded from Ubuntu 21 LTS to 22 LTS. In actuality, there is no 21 LTS. The last LTS before 22.04 was 20.04. The LTS releases are every 2 years. The 21.xx releases are called interim releases. I used to install them as well but because they affect zoneminder by switching levels of different components, like php for instance, I stopped and only upgrade from one LTS release to the next. Here is a little chart.

22.04 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)
21.10 (Impish Indri)
21.04 (Hirsute Hippo)
20.10 (Groovy Gorilla)
20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa)
18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver)
16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus)
14.04 LTS (Trusty Tahr)

https://ubuntu.com/about/release-cycle
rip

Post by rip »

I ran into this. I think if we watched carefully, zoneminder and old PHP flavors may have been in the prompt to remove old versions when doing upgrade.

I had WEBMIN installed, and that survived the upgrade just fine, so job one was pull a copy of the Database, just in case. You could also do it on the commandline.

Some of this is redundant and not needed, I just brute forced it.

Code: Select all

1834  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:iconnor/zoneminder-1.36
 1840  sudo apt install zoneminder
 1842  sudo apt install apache2 mysql-server php
 1843  sudo systemctl enable --now apache2 mysql
 1844  sudo systemctl  status apache2 mysql

Apache is broken, we'll come back to it.

1845  sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
 1847  sudo rm /etc/mysql/my.cnf
 1848  sudo cp /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf /etc/mysql/my.cnf
 1849  sudo nano /etc/mysql/my.cnf

Add to the end:
 sql_mode = NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

1850  sudo chmod 740 /etc/zm/zm.conf
 1851  sudo chown root:www-data /etc/zm/zm.conf
 1852  sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /usr/share/zoneminder/
 1853  sudo a2enmod cgi rewrite expires headers
 1854  sudo nano /etc/php/*/apache2/php.ini

Check your Timezone  

1855  sudo systemctl enable zoneminder
 1856  sudo systemctl start zoneminder
 1857  sudo systemctl reload apache2
 1858  systemctl restart apache2
 1859  systemctl status apache2.service

Apache is broken, php version?

1862  php --version
 1863  cd /etc/apache2//mods-available/
 1864  ls
 1865  sudo a2dismod php7.4
 1866  sudo a2enmod php8.1

Turn off 7.4, turn on 8.1

1867  sudo systemctl restart apache2
 1868  sudo apachectl configtest

In browser, ip:80 is the apache splash screen, /zm is zoneminder with all my cameras and config
I just did this at 2AM, your mileage may vary and I'll probably find something I missed later.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Sento wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:38 pm Hi

I just upgraded from Ubuntu 21 LTS to 22 LTS and now Zoneminder fails to start. It looks like a Zoneminder file has been deleted (full search does not find it at all)
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support
░░
░░ The unit zoneminder.service has entered the 'failed' state with result 'exit-code'.
Aug 14 13:30:13 zm1 zoneminder[9648]: Starting ZoneMinder:
Aug 14 13:30:13 zm1 zoneminder[9656]: /etc/init.d/zoneminder: 29: /usr/bin/zmpkg.pl: not found
Aug 14 13:30:12 zm1 systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Control ZoneMinder as a Service.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit zoneminder.service has failed

Is there anyway to reinstall just that file without disrupting the rest of the configuration i.e. MySQL etc?

TIA
I have experienced the same behavior in upgrading Ubuntu. The installed Zoneminder gets overwritten by the one in the Ubuntu repository and Zoneminder no longer works. It can be messy!

Always good to take a dump or backup of the ZM database before doing an upgrade. Webmin makes this easy. The backup can be restored after you remove and reinstall Zoneminder.

Another possibility is to put Zoneminder on "hold" before the upgrade. Here is some discussion on "holding" a program: https://askubuntu.com/questions/18654/h ... ic-package I remember trying this some time ago and it worked (I think).

However, I have pretty much had it with running Ubuntu and their Snaps and cloud crap on my production server. I had a drive failure last week so thought I would try Ubuntu 22.04 again. It did not last the weekend before I wiped the drive and went back to Debian Bullseye. The only plus for Ubuntu is my install script on the WIKI make doing a Zoneminder install dead easy! I still may go back to Ubuntu 20.04 as I still have a mini.iso so I can do a very minimal install without all the crap.
rip

Post by rip »

Yeah, my install is minimal and headless. Only extras on it is webmin and urbackup.