No longer FCM notification (working since months)

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)
linuxnutt

Re: No longer FCM notification (working since months)

Post by linuxnutt »

asker wrote;
linuxnutt, disabling push and reenabling it or delete and reinstall zmNinja. Basically force zmNinja to generate a new token and see if it helps.
I was not successful in getting the legacy version of Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM) to work with Android zmNinja, but I was able to get pushover setup and working. Pushover is not as smoothly integrated with zmNinja as FCM. What I mean here is pushapi_pushover.py just shows the alarmed image and event id. So I'm not a programmer, but is there code or url that can be added to pushover notification that will open the event in zmNinja. I guess even a line of code that will open zmNinja app from within pushover notification is better than manually opening zmNinja.

Is there progress on new release of zmNinja working with FCM? Are the bugs worked out yet? Pushover is good but not as good as FCM!
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Out of the blue I got a FCM test message on my Android tablet! Something new?
Me_etc

Post by Me_etc »

I too received a message today, but do not use notifications. Was this broadcasted to all ZM Ninga users by accident? And if so, why is this ability allowed to happen at all?
Test

Test from pliablepixels to see if legacy FCM works
Last edited by Me_etc on Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave_88

Post by dave_88 »

Yep, test message received OK (as well as all other normal zmeventnotification notifications)
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

Was not an accident. Was a test, as it says.
-
Me_etc

Post by Me_etc »

If it was not an accident, why was it sent to me (and probably others)? Why does ZMN have the ability to spam all users with notifications at all?
asker

Post by asker »

This was a test message because zmNinja users using FCM had their functionality removed and I was testing to see if it works.
zmNinja does _not_ have the ability to spam you if you have notifications disabled. Even if you think you are not using it, you have not turned off notifications in your OS for zmNinja. Turn it off and you won't get messages.
Me_etc wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:32 pm I too received a message today, but do not use notifications. Was this broadcasted to all ZM Ninga users by accident? And if so, why is this ability allowed to happen at all?
Test

Test from pliablepixels to see if legacy FCM works
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
ptruman

Post by ptruman »

I got this too (just). I've switched FCM on but I'm not getting notifications (although I'm not expecting them to entirely work atm).

Are FCM supposed to be working "as is" and if so, what am I doing wrong?

On a side, on my Pixel notification history, the notification has vanished :\
Me_etc

Post by Me_etc »

asker wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:38 pm This was a test message because zmNinja users using FCM had their functionality removed and I was testing to see if it works.
zmNinja does _not_ have the ability to spam you if you have notifications disabled. Even if you think you are not using it, you have not turned off notifications in your OS for zmNinja. Turn it off and you won't get messages.
I'm still concerned that a mass notification can be sent to everyone. Even if app notifications are turned off, that's a local setting. The message would still be sent, but not displayed. My question still wasn't answered, why is there an ability for a mass notification to be sent?
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

It’s a feature of FCM.
-
asker

Post by asker »

Me_etc wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:16 pm
asker wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:38 pm This was a test message because zmNinja users using FCM had their functionality removed and I was testing to see if it works.
I'm still concerned that a mass notification can be sent to everyone. Even if app notifications are turned off, that's a local setting. The message would still be sent, but not displayed. My question still wasn't answered, why is there an ability for a mass notification to be sent?
Note that it is not just a local setting. You had to have enabled push notification at some time to have registered a token.
That being said if you are asking why is there a setting where Google allows mass messages to be sent for folks who have registered to receive push notifications, fair question. You should ask Google. My understanding is if you have disabled the event server in your zmNinja settings your token would be deregistered.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
benjalien

Post by benjalien »

Hi everyone,

do we have news on a potential fix for FCM?
Thanks

Benjamin