No longer FCM notification (working since months)

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)
doms

No longer FCM notification (working since months)

Post by doms »

Hello,

zoneminder version = 1.36.19, ES last version, zmNinja current version

I have a weird problem. I do not have anymore notifications on my phone (everything was working for months). Detection are occuring at server side, but nothing poping as notification on my phone. Just to note, it arrive 30h ago and I did not change anything, nor update the underlying linux.

I first thing I made something wrong with my phone, I chech permission, notificaiton configuration, etc. Nothing. I install zmNinja on another phone, everything work except notification (thus, I think the phone is not guilty). I restart zoneminder and ES, not working. Even if I know it is 99% useless, I reboot the linux. Not better.

I check on log, the SSL communication between zmNinja and the WSS seems ok. the tokens at server side is also ok. I check logs from zmeventnotification, and there is almost nothing inside it.

Now, I do not know what to do. Is there a limit for FCM notifications (my installation send me 70 genuine notifications a day). How and where can I track that sending FCM notification is working at server side?

Thank you for your help. Doms.
bsc101

Re: No longer FCM notification (working since months)

Post by bsc101 »

Same here, no more notifications on our two Android phones since (I don't know exactly) 24 hours or so... Is this a general issue?
tsp84

Post by tsp84 »

Zmninja end of life happened. Asker shut down his fcm server as he said he would. ZM dev has spun up his own fcm server from what I understand.

Join the ZM slack channel to ask about specifics. To join the slack channel, go to https://join.slack.com/t/zoneminder-cha ... TdmMjE2MTE
doms

Post by doms »

Hello,

Thank you for the information.

Doms.
SkippyDo

Post by SkippyDo »

Sadly (I came here because I just discovered the same)...

Per viewtopic.php?t=30996:

zmNinja, ES+ML support discontinuation notice (in advance) : EOY 2021

Changelog
Jun 24, 2022: Stopped my FCM server - added updated notes above on app transfer for iOS

---

If anyone has set up their own FCM server for serving this function I, and others, would appreciate any tips.

FCM:
https://firebase.google.com/

Note: When this service was first available I don't believe that certs were necessary (with anything associated with ZM); as I wasn't using certs at that time I didn't bother looking into providing FCM from/via my own server; now that I'm using certs (but only from letsencrypt, so unsure if this is acceptable) I'm hoping that I can run FCM on my server.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

There will be a new release of zmninja as soon as we figure it out exactly how. (a day or two or three). That will fix the fcm issue.

In the meantime, maybe look into pushover notifications.
timf

Post by timf »

Thanks for looking into this - when the push stopped working I thought it was my end as I'd just switched over to a new Openwrt router and thought it must be a firewall problem.

Further checking showed it was an EoL issue and fortunately I didn't break anything my end trying to 'fix' it !!

I registered for PushOver but couldn't get it to work due to the configuration instructions being a little vague (imho).

So now I think I'll hold fire till the Ninja gods have worked thier magic.

Regards Tim
dave_88

Post by dave_88 »

In the mean time, I can confirm that reverting to legacy FCM notifications (as opposed to the newer FCM HTTPv1) works fine.

Just change this line in zmeventnotification.ini as follows...

Code: Select all

use_fcmv1 = no
Notifications with images now working again for me exactly the same as before. I think the legacy FCM method uses a less complex system of authentication/tokens that doesn't require the original zmNinja developer's server (that has been switched off).

I believe from what I've read, the legacy FCM will keep working for a long time yet, as I can't find any mention of an end of life date. My own little app (and I guess thousands of others) still use what Google now refer to as "legacy" FCM so also glad that I don't have to change anything yet!
Hendergd

Post by Hendergd »

timf wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:11 pm
I registered for PushOver but couldn't get it to work due to the configuration instructions being a little vague (imho)
I posted this on Reddit a few days back. Hopefully it's of some help.

With the demise of Asker's FCMv1 instance I thought I'd use Pushover until the zoneminder team manage to find the time to update the code. Alas, and despite reading the docs, I struggled for some time to get things working

Essentially the docs said I needed to fill in the below in the secrets.ini

PUSHOVER_APP_TOKEN=axxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PUSHOVER_USER_KEY=uxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

and then in the zmeventnotification.ini
use_api_push = yes

Alas this didn't work and a bit of digging revealed a missing package pyzm. I think this gets installed if you installed hooks at docker creation time but on my INSTALL_HOOK="0" build it was missing.

My linux experience is really limited and I'm sure there is a better way but I ended up running the following in the docker container

sudo apt update

sudo apt install python3-pip

pip install pyzm

After that it all worked. Hopefully this will be of help if anyone else is in the same boat.
asker

Post by asker »

dave_88 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:07 pm In the mean time, I can confirm that reverting to legacy FCM notifications (as opposed to the newer FCM HTTPv1) works fine.

Just change this line in zmeventnotification.ini as follows...

Code: Select all

use_fcmv1 = no
Notifications with images now working again for me exactly the same as before. I think the legacy FCM method uses a less complex system of authentication/tokens that doesn't require the original zmNinja developer's server (that has been switched off).

I believe from what I've read, the legacy FCM will keep working for a long time yet, as I can't find any mention of an end of life date. My own little app (and I guess thousands of others) still use what Google now refer to as "legacy" FCM so also glad that I don't have to change anything yet!
That's a great callout. I completely forgot about that. Added to my medium article.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
linuxnutt

Post by linuxnutt »

Like everyone else here my notifications were working but stopped;
FCM notices still not working after changing use_fcmv1:

Just changed use_fcmv1:
cat zmeventnotification.ini | grep -i use_fcmv1
use_fcmv1 = yes

cat zmeventnotification.ini | grep -i use_fcmv1
use_fcmv1 = no

then restarted zoneminder to restart the zmeventnotification.ini daemon.
service.zoneminder.status
# service zoneminder restart
Stopping ZoneMinder:
06/28/22 16:49:02.281732 zmpkg[298545].INF [main:318] [Sanity checking States table...]
06/28/22 16:49:02.285285 zmpkg[298545].INF [main:95] [Command: status]
06/28/22 16:49:02.590483 zmpkg[298552].INF [main:318] [Sanity checking States table...]
06/28/22 16:49:02.592680 zmpkg[298552].INF [main:95] [Command: stop]
ZoneMinder stopped successfully

Starting ZoneMinder:
06/28/22 16:49:04.720203 zmpkg[298570].INF [main:318] [Sanity checking States table...]
06/28/22 16:49:04.722813 zmpkg[298570].INF [main:95] [Command: start]
06/28/22 16:49:08.276299 zmpkg[298570].INF [main:211] [Single server configuration detected. Starting up services.]
ZoneMinder started successfully

I'm using
I'm using docker "dlandon's GitHub zoneminder.machine.learning" docker container running Zoneminder v1.36.12, ES and Hook version: 6.1.23 on Linux Mint 20.1.
06/28/22 17:09:43 zmesdetect_m1[301204] INF zm_detect.py:271 [---------| app:6.1.23, pyzm:0.3.55, ES:6.1.23 , OpenCV:4.5.3|------------]
asker

Post by asker »

linuxnutt, disabling push and reenabling it or delete and reinstall zmNinja. Basically force zmNinja to generate a new token and see if it helps.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
timf

Post by timf »

Thanks hendergood for the hint.

Edit - figured out this one myself !
Had to go to the pushover site and generate a token

I have filled in my pushover key in secrets.ini but am wonder where I get the token from for the below ?

PUSHOVER_APP_TOKEN=axxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

edit - having entered the correct credentials in secrets.ini still no push notifications despite restarting ZM.

Looking at my pushover control page no messages have been sent

I wonder what the syntax is for the credentials ? ie do they have to be enclosed in inverted comma's or something ?

Regards Tim
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

You should have the PUSHOVER_APP_TOKEN and PUSHOVER_USER_KEY from Pushover. They don't need quotes.
-
bsc101

Post by bsc101 »

I'm using pushover now, works just fine!
Beside PUSHOVER_APP_TOKEN and PUSHOVER_USER_KEY in secrets.ini, I set the following in zmeventnotification.ini:
use_api_push = yes
event_start_notify_on_hook_success = api

Hope this helps...