Show Zoneminder in Zoneminder?

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
omtr

Show Zoneminder in Zoneminder?

Post by omtr »

Hi Forum,

i would like to record a couple of offices from all over Europe and would like to host one central ZM instance in a data centre. I would like to use some cheap Tapo cameras that deliver a quite decent job and use Wifi. My idea is to have a Raspi with ZM in each office that grabs the local cameras from the Wifi network. The central ZM in the datacentre will then get the video streams from the ZM Raspis in the differect offices. My question now is: Is that even possible? Can you add a Monitor with a remote ZM stream as a source?

Thanks for kicking me into the right direction...
omtr

Re: Show Zoneminder in Zoneminder?

Post by omtr »

comment on my previous post: you may wonder why i do not grab the camera streams directly. i had a couple of considerations:

- i must open a port for each camera in the firewall
- if i have different camera models / firmware versions, i might increase the vulnerability risks. i assume cheap cameras are pretty bad with firmware upgrades
- many cameras do not have any SSL encryption at all
- with a raspi i can simply use letsencrypt and its easy to keep it up to date
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

Set up each of those remote sites as an RTSP server in ZM.
-
omtr

Post by omtr »

thanks mate, will try it!
omtr

Post by omtr »

Magic919 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:27 am Set up each of those remote sites as an RTSP server in ZM.
do you know how to encrypt this connection? is SRTP supported by ZoneMinder?
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

The server they implemented might support it, but I don’t know that. You might get a more informed response on their Slack channel.
-