[Solved in 1.37.12] ZoneMinder 1.37.7 - image corruption during event playback

Current Development version likely to have breaking changes
iconnor

Re: ZoneMinder 1.37.7 - image corruption during event playback

Post by iconnor »

Please try latest master. It might be fixed.
lyallp

Post by lyallp »

More pictures of a different aspect.

The latest picture was from zmNinja (yes, I know it's deprecated) which uses the ZoneMinder API, previous pictures are from ZoneMinder web site itself.
Trying to demonstrate that the corruption occurs prior to the API being involved.

Events are saved as jpegs.

As stated in a previous posts, examination of these jpegs using separate tools in the event folders shows the jpegs are all fine.

You are correct in assuming the jpegs are not corrupted otherwise, the corruption would show in scaled down video (below 1:1) as well as 1:1 or above.

So, from my perspective, it's at the jpeg -> video stream OR video stream transmission to end client.

I note that ZoneMinder is using a separate package for DNLA support. I wonder if the problem is not with ZoneMinder itself but with this package?

Really, I admit to not being overly concerned about this problem, it's more of an FYI and I am more than happy to perform test cases that you request, if that will help.
...Lyall
phgerin

Post by phgerin »

Its fixed for me, thanks !
Zonecams

Re: [Solved in 1.37.12] ZoneMinder 1.37.7 - image corruption during event playback

Post by Zonecams »

By the way, I was trying to find out why this also happened in recent stable releases e.g. 1.36.12.
I downgraded a few versions and noticed, that this issue didn't come from an zoneminder update, but from a change in ubuntu.
This log entry gave me a hint where to look:

03/05/22 14:50:30.534735 zms_e62830[7173].ERR-zm_eventstream.cpp/1093 [Unable to send raw frame 143: Broken pipe 0]

According to the code, it has to do with sendfile support. Therefore I tried to boot an older kernel with 5.4 which is still available in my grub menu (20.04 LTS) the image corruption is gone. With kernel 5.13 image corruption is there.

I saw an update in master regarding sendfile support. I guess this is also needed for 1.36 branch.
iconnor

Re: [Solved in 1.37.12] ZoneMinder 1.37.7 - image corruption during event playback

Post by iconnor »

Correct.

sendfile used to just send the entire file and we trusted that. The docs made it clear that was a false assumption. So now we handle it not sending the entire file.

Fix will be in 1.36.13. I'm having some trouble with figuring out what should go in etc.

You can always try out the ppa:iconnor/zoneminder-proposed ppa for what will be released as 1.36.13