brand new install - need noob guidance

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
8ace

brand new install - need noob guidance

Post by 8ace »

Evening folks, I've been running a bunch of Foscam cameras for years now but finally have given up on the painful Windows recording software and decided to go back to ZM (yay!)

Can anyone suggest what would be a sensible download choice.. Ubuntu, redhat, debian, gentoo?

I have 6 foscam cameras and a Dell Optiplex 7010 with 16gb i7-3770 @ 3.4GHZ just standing by. Really just looking to record. Definitely not a Linux power user.

Thanks for any help... :D

PS one more random question: also curious if ZM can easily be configured to automatically attempt to re-establish connectivity with cameras that occasionally lose connectivity or power? A couple of my cameras are not on UPS and have some spotty wifi and I need to periodically re-sign into to them via the web interface to restart recording.
Magic919

Re: brand new install - need noob guidance

Post by Magic919 »

Of those, I’d say Ubuntu would give you a greater number of users and thus support.

Having to sign the web interface to restart recording is a pain. ZM won’t do that. Not seen anyone mention that before and Foscam are pretty common.
-
8ace

Re: brand new install - need noob guidance

Post by 8ace »

thank you for the tips. Ubuntu it is :D

Looking forward to getting my machine up and running. Will report back! :)

(yeah I realize this is probably the wrong forum and the million dollar question... but if my dear old Foscams are end of life, any thoughts for a favourite/recommended simple brand or model (wired and wifi) that gets popular acclaim on zoneminder?)