zmNinja, ES+ML support discontinuation notice (in advance) : EOY 2021

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)
asker

zmNinja, ES+ML support discontinuation notice (in advance) : EOY 2021

Post by asker »

(Note: This is an end of life notice for zmNinja and the Event Server+Machine learning work. It is NOT RELATED to ZoneMinder. ZoneMinder is still very actively supported by Isaac and others and has nothing to do with my stopping support for my tools and apps)

Hey folks,
I wanted to let everyone know that I have run out of time to support zmNinja and ES+ML. It's been a fun ride for the past 6 years and thank you for all the support and encouragement as I built out the app (my very first and potentially the last) and then went on to add ES+ML to ZM, hopefully making it much more useful.

I've completely run out of time to continue to support the ecosystem. Instead of immediately pulling the plug, I'd like to continue till end of this year.

Status as of Jun 24, 2022
  • zmninja-pro on Android has moved over to ZoneMinder LLC quite some time ago and is listed in the play store here
  • zmninja-pro on iOS has moved over to ZoneMinder LLC as of Jun 24, 2022 and is available here
  • My cloud server for push was stopped on Jun 24, 2022. If you are not getting push notifications, please contact the ZoneMinder team - they will need to release a new version of the ES with their cloud function. In the interim you can continue to receive pushes by switching back to the legacy push mechanism. See this
So here is what I plan to do:
  • zmNinja will still be available in the App and Play store till EOY 2021, but starting right now it will be free
  • zmNinja licensing has changed to GPLv3 immediately, so developers can fork it and do what they want, including sell/distribute under GPLv3 license
  • ES+ML (includes mlapi and pyzm) are already under GPLv3 and free so nothing changes there
  • zmNinja desktop was always free so nothing changes there (licensing has changed to GPLv3)
  • I will continue to support (in limited fashion) till year end after which I will stop support, officially
  • Towards the end of this year (2021) I will unpublish the apps from the app store and play store because I don't want to leave an app that is unsupported. I am absolutely sure some future OS update will break something. I will however, upload the apk for Android to my github repo for anyone to download (a final version). Unfortunately, I can't do that with iOS - there is no way I know of where I can just create an IPA iOS file that anyone can install on their devices - it needs to go through the app store.
  • As of July 17, 2021 all my code has been moved to ZM's github org. I'll keep maintaining till EY, but after that ZM devs and interested contributors can self-organize
What happens after 2021?
  • Practically speaking, please don't expect me to provide any form of support. That really is the big thing for me. I don't have time anymore.
  • For you, after 2021 push notifications won't work out of the box (see below)
  • If no one steps up to maintain zmNinja, they will be taken off app/play stores. You can still compile it from source.
  • zmNinja push will not work out of the box because I'll remove my cloud function that mediates between your ES and Google Servers.
    You'll have some options:
    - As of Jul 17 2021, ZM Devs are considering running the cloud function so you may not have to do anything except for update the ES with a new version that will have the updated cloud function URL (assuming ZM devs pick it up). See here
    - Before I remove my cloud function I'll post instructions on how to set up your own cloud functions. (Updated: instructions here)
    - (Updated end 2022: This option does not work) The other option is you disable use_fcmv1 - that will switch you back to the old style notifications which may result in some functionality loss but push should continue to work as long as Google supports it
    - Or, you can use pushover support that I had added earlier
  • I may continue to tinker/fiddle with things but it will completely be on my time and interest. I may not and completely walk away
  • If you are upset about me pulling support for zmNinja and a 5 month notice doesn't work for you, you have a few options:
    - You can ask for a refund - read this and act as needed
    - You are always free to compile it on your own. See instructions
  • If you are a developer and are interested in taking over zmNinja on the app store/play store see section below
  • If you are thinking "what app should I use next?" I really don't have a great answer. I'm not sure if other developers have made apps that work very well with ZM. The last I heard of was of an app called Surveillance Pro but have never used it. This may be a chance for an aspiring developer to take over zmNinja and ES+ML
For developers who want to take over
(This part is evolving, so I'll keep updating as we talk/think through)
  • Note that I've already made zmNinja free. I did this right away because I don't want to continue to charge money while also announcing I am going to step away by end of year. But that also means you probably can't make it paid again under the same name (zmNinja-pro). Google prohibits free apps from becoming paid. No idea about Apple. So if you plan to make money from it, you may have to explore renaming the app
  • ZM devs over in slack have offered to move all of zmN+ES+ML code bases to the ZoneMinder github org. I think that's a great idea because it gives more transparency to all users
  • So if you are a dev, looking to maintain any part of zmN+ES+ML, hop on to slack, and talk to the ZM Devs on what you have in mind

Changelog
(Started recording changes to this post starting Jul 13)
  • Jun 24, 2022: Stopped my FCM server - added updated notes above on app transfer for iOS
  • Sep 1, clarified that no one has taken over yet
  • Jul 17, posted instructions on how to host your own cloud function, also noted that ZM devs may take it over. Also all my code has moved to ZoneMinder
  • Jul 14, as it turns out I can't just upload iOS IPA files. They need a device UDID to work on a specific device, or, I need to be enrolled in Enterprise Developer program with Apple. So bad luck iOS users - you'll have to get it from the app store and keep the app in your device
  • Jul 13, switched zmNinja to GPL v3.0 from GPL v2.0 as packery open source license is also GPLv3 and I can't mix and match

Thanks.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
asker

Re: zmNinja, ES+ML support discontinuation notice (in advance) : EOY 2021

Post by asker »

I've just made zmNinja free in iOS and Android app/play stores.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

Thanks for all your excellent work. ZMNinja and then ZMES have been great. They do everything I need.
-
bkjaya1952

Post by bkjaya1952 »

Thank you for providing us a nice app free of charge
fennec

Post by fennec »

Just thanks for all
I use app all days
alabamatoy

Post by alabamatoy »

Thanks so much for providing good stuff and good help. Best of luck to you.
zzz32891

Post by zzz32891 »

Thanks for your work. Please, *please* send out another push notification to let us know if the app is to change hands to some mystery bidder.
VE6FUK

Post by VE6FUK »

Will the Ubuntu zomeminder server coding continue to receive updates, or will that be EOL as well?
GordianSimpul

Post by GordianSimpul »

Thank you so much for providing us with an amazing app. I've never had any issues.

One thing: Would it be too much trouble to provide us with an APK of the most recent build? This would come in handy on future devices we may get and would be a way to install zmNinja on them too.
MrTreeMan

Post by MrTreeMan »

Massive amount of respect :mrgreen:

Thanks for a brilliant amount of work and effort you’ve put in, I’ve tried many other setups over time but always come back to ZM+ZmNinja!
Respect for giving notice and being open about it! Good luck with whatever you’re moving onto in the future!
j4c3

Post by j4c3 »

Thanks for the time we've had it! I'll be keeping an eye out for the instructions for personal cloud functions.

@GordianSimpul: "Towards the end of this year (2021) ... upload the apk and ipa to my github repo for anyone to download (a final version)"
Imaskier

Post by Imaskier »

:D Thank you pliable, for your wonderful app and support for all these years! You have kept my family safe and for that I am eternally grateful. You have created something that was truly needed and did a damn good job at it. It's a sad day but I wish you well on your next endeavor. I know this community will miss you dearly.

Thank you!
sndguru

Post by sndguru »

6 years wow, that's been the amount of time I've been super happy with ZM, and that's purely because of your apps, and coding. Thank you very much for all your efforts.

I'd love to be the one to pickup from your efforts, but like you, time doesn't permit, but I've also got not idea where to start - not a developer :D

Sounds like you've learnt heaps and had fun, and that's right where you need to stop, before it gets taxing. Again thank you very much for time, effort, knowledge, and results. I hope some fresh blood arrives to take on the batten, but otherwise it's been a great ride.
digs

Post by digs »

THANK YOU so much for your development effort over the years. From first having discovered zoneminder and subsequently zmninja; it's always 'just worked' and been brilliant. Was happy to support a paid version. The fact you've decided to turn over your code under GPL is so very kind of you; as is your declaration of your departure with a very reasonable lead time. I share your philosophical objective here (very noble) and whilst I don't necessarily have the same developer skills; I do hope the project continues in your absence.

Your project has/is very successful and I can't thank you enough! All the best with your other endeavours. 🤗👍🤗

MUCH APPRECIATED.
mansal

Post by mansal »

Excellent work on the zmNinja app. I use it all the time for my home cctv setup.
I am a developer and have worked on cross-platform mobile apps in the past. I may be interested in taking the project over if the offer is still available.

Please PM me at your convenience.
Sam M