Cloud backup of alarm events

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
smee204

Cloud backup of alarm events

Post by smee204 »

I would like to get ZM to upload alarm events to S3 immediately to counter the threat of someone breaking in and stealing the server along with all the footage.
I have seen a few options which do this using third party scripts like https://github.com/CampsiteHelper/ZoneMinderS3 however these use images whereas my installation is recording to mp4 files in order to save space.

I know that ZM allows adding storage as s3fs and I could setup a filter to copy events with alarm frames to this storage, however I assume this will only happen after an event has finished in which case it could be too late?

Has anyone come up with a solution which works on mp4?
If not I might have a go at writing something.
Magic919

Re: Cloud backup of alarm events

Post by Magic919 »

There are some interesting things on GitHub, like this one under smart-zoneminder https://github.com/goruck/smart-zonemin ... -s3-upload

I expect it would easier to hack one of those to look for .mp4 instead of .jpg.

Whether this is a solution to the ‘problem’ I’m less sure.
-
smee204

Post by smee204 »

I had a look at smart-zoneminder, interesting project. I am not sure how easy it would be to hack to look for mp4 instead of jpg as there are some major differences.
The biggest difference is a jpg file is written to disk in one go, whereas the mp4 file is written and then added to for 10mins. You either need to stream the mp4 file to s3 or wait until it has been completely written and then upload.
S3 supports multipart uploads so it should be possible to implement I guess.
Gascoigne

Post by Gascoigne »

I hate when there are situations when someone tries to delete data from someone else's computer. It is more than just fraud; I think it's cyber crimes. My work is directly related to the storage and processing of a large amount of important and confidential information, which is why intruders are constantly attacking my computer. For this reason, I always use cloud storage, and now I use the service cloudedarchitecture.com. It secures me in case the scammers still manage to bypass my security system, and they try to erase all data from my computer. So I advise you also to use similar services so that in case of failure, you do not lose all the information on your device.
minderob

Post by minderob »

Hello I am new here and new to Linux and Zoneminder. Have you looked at rclone. I use it to upload my events to my google drive. Possibly you could use it in a similar way eg rclone copy <mp4 folder> <s3drive>.