Facial recognition with AWS or GCP

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
mcpaha

Facial recognition with AWS or GCP

Post by mcpaha »

Hi!

Anybody know any projects which are using AWS or GCP platforms for facial and/or object recognition? I'd like to test an idea for sending alarm.jpg files to the facial recognition and add that information f.e. to my Home Assistant. I really do not want to do that with my Intel NUC because of CPU needs and AWS or GCP is really really cheap for this purposes...

I do not have personal knowledge how to do this but would it be creat?
Magic919

Re: Facial recognition with AWS or GCP

Post by Magic919 »

I can see how that would work. It would be simple to upload, trigger a function and get AWS, or whichever, to do the work.

However, take a look at ZM Event Notifcation Server and a Coral TPU as another option.
-
mcpaha

Post by mcpaha »

Yeah... basically it would be camera software free solution? I am running my ZM with Ubuntu and it would be quiet easy to create "script or something" which checking certain directory with subdirs if there is new jpg or certain name jpg:s and send those to AWS or GCP.

I think I do not have powerfull pc for doing that myself...
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

The TPU would do the work.

This is beyond your requested functionality, but contains helpful information https://github.com/goruck/smart-zoneminder
-
strudenilist

Post by strudenilist »

It would be cool, but such projects always scare me a bit. It’s fine when used for personal needs, but when the government uses it to identify people, it makes me freak out a little. Not that I thought the government did not spy on us, but it is too obvious.
Also, I had no clue AWS could do something like this; thanks for the information. Is the picture sent online to do the recognition, or is it fully processed on the PC? I would also like to cooperate with https://www.clearscale.com/company/partners to build a Home Assistant system based on AWS, and facial recognition might be helpful.
RoyKerry

Post by RoyKerry »

I've heard of quite a few projects that use AWS or GCP for facial and object recognition. It's a popular choice because these platforms offer powerful tools and are budget-friendly. Your idea of sending alarm.jpg files to the facial recognition service and integrating the information with your Home Assistant sounds really interesting! I'm not an expert in this area, but I think it could be a cool project to explore. You can find plenty of resources and documentation online to guide you through the process.
RandallSherwood

Post by RandallSherwood »

Yes, both AWS (Amazon Web Services) and GCP (Google Cloud Platform) offer services and tools for facial and object recognition that can be utilized for your project.