Looking into using Zoneminder --- Have some questions

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
wangel

Looking into using Zoneminder --- Have some questions

Post by wangel »

Greetings all;

Currently, I've been running a 4 channel DVR I built, using an AverMedia Nv5000 card. I have 2 of the little expansions for it, for a total of 12 cameras, but I am currently only using 4 (and have for quiet awhile).

I am using the Avermedia Software, and it still works great ... somewhat. I have the original CD and Serial # also, not that it matters.

The software will only work on Windows 7, and as we all know, Windows 7 was EOL yesterday (1/14/20). I attempted to upgrade it to 10 to see what would happen, and it failed miserably.

I've done some digging around, and it seems that Zoneminder ... might work. Linux see's the NV5000 as a BTTV card, and a search here and google brings up a few threads about it, but I haven't been able to find anything or anyone that has gotten it to work.

That said ... I'm looking for help / advice.

I'd like to switch to IP cameras, hardwired, because of picture quality etc. Is there a decent IP camera you guys recommend? I assume HikVision or Xaomi?

Is there a capture card I can get and get the 4 cameras I have now, working, while I migrate to all IP cameras?

Just looking for options ...

Thank you!
~wangel
snake

Re: Looking into using Zoneminder --- Have some questions

Post by snake »

Hikvision is a good low end camera.

Instead of capture cards, use ip video encoders. See https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Hardware_Compatibility_List