zmNinja Old Versions

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)
snake

zmNinja Old Versions

Post by snake »

What is the process for pinning old versions of zmNinja for an Android or iphone? My use case, is that I have a server that I don't want to necessarily upgrade, and yet I want to use zmNinja. I'm afraid that if I use it the automatic updates of the phone will eventually break compatibility between the two...

So let's say I want to use 1.32.3 for the next five years, what are my options generally for using zmNinja?
asker

Re: zmNinja Old Versions

Post by asker »

I think android allows you to disable auto updates on a per app basis too
I found several articles when I did a google search, one of which is this
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
Baylink

Post by Baylink »

Correct -- while it's a bit obscure, you can disable autoupdates for a single app in the Play Store App.

Go to

Code: Select all

Hamburger Menu -> My Apps -> Installed [tab]
and pick the app.

Then drop the three-dots menu in the top right corner, and uncheck "Enable auto update".

You can probably do it from the app store on the web too, but I don't know where.
snake

Post by snake »

Thanks for the help. It looks like it is possible on Android, but not on iphones (the only option I saw was to update all apps manually, which is illogical - I can't have the users doing that).

Hopefully this becomes possible in the future, because if I setup a company with 5-10 iphones, I'll be in trouble if I don't keep up with ZM updates.
Baylink

Post by Baylink »

The only really safe solution to this is to fork when you have to introduce a compatibility-break; create a new separate app called, frex, "zmNinja 2.2", and then put new updates into that.

If you're really nice, you'll backport security fixes... :-)

This may introduce it's own problems; I don't know how the appstores work, policy wise, but as long as they continue to make it impossible to do what you need to do, you don't have all that many choices.

Nice you're thinking about it at least, unlike, say, the Allen & Heath people, who already revved their iPad app to 64 bit in 1.4, and you can't update your console past 1.2 if you can't afford a new iPad.

$EXPLETIVE's.