Need recommendation for Wireless Outdoor Solar Powered Camera

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
allanon

Need recommendation for Wireless Outdoor Solar Powered Camera

Post by allanon »

I've had two of my cars vandalized in the last 2 weeks outside my house. I'm going to put up a camera to catch the moron red handed. I'm looking for an outdoor wireless solar powered camera that works with ZM. It has to solar powered due to it's intended location. I've got two older Android phones in the house running IP Webcam with ZM. I've looked at cameras on Amazon until I can't take it any longer. Too much information to review. Just want an inexpensive camera to do the job outside.
allizzel777

Re: Need recommendation for Wireless Outdoor Solar Powered Camera

Post by allizzel777 »

Hi,

I use http://wanscam.com/productshow-16-94-1.html these cameras, however they suck over the long run.

I have 32 of them right now and it seems only 4 of them will stay online at all times. The internal software kinda sucks but they do work, the cameras are clear when they work.

Only issue is there is almost no support, the emails I get from their support are in such broken English that it's like talking to a 3 year old.

Their guarantee is trash.

But in all if you only need 1 or 2 cameras, i'd recommend trying it. Even if they go offline from your WiFi you can set it to record 24/7, this will deplete your battery very fast.
justin ye

Post by justin ye »

I use this camera ,with wireless ,motion senser .you can take it any where you want it because it is very small one and very good price https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0XmV90OUvk
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

http://wanscam.com/productshow-16-94-1.html seems to be dead.

"The domain has expired and cannot be accessed. It can be restored after renewal." Not encouraging....
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

justin ye

I imagine the 16 hour figure is when it sleeps at times.

Will/can this stay on-line, that is continuously, for 8 hours?
alabamatoy

Post by alabamatoy »

I have been looking at a package which would consist of:
  • Known good IP camera (could even be PTZ)
    small router
    wireless bridge (point-to-point single wireless bridge connection, something like this...)
    solar panel
    large 12V battery
    Possible power converter to provide 5V etc required by router or bridge, or POE injector or switch
    small BMS to provide battery status via TCP/IP
The router, bridge, and camera all have known power requirements which help size the solar array and battery (plural?). Would need a solar array which is substantially beyond the amperage draw of the various devices to get ahead during the day and then run all night on battery. This is not a cheap solution, but it would allow placing a camera nearly anywhere you want on a large property as long as there was line-of-sight back to main receiver location. LoS can be achieved with a simple antenna pole to get necessary elevation.
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Why the router?
Multiple cams to that and then to the bridge?
alabamatoy

Post by alabamatoy »

dougmccrary wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:29 pm Why the router?
Multiple cams to that and then to the bridge?
Primarily because of the need to connect a BMS for monitoring the batteries. It allows for adding extra cams or a weather station or whatever. But your point is correct, it really may be unnecessary.
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Probably just a cheap switch would do...