A Newby to Ubuntu & to Zoneminder 1.30.2

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
Steve62

A Newby to Ubuntu & to Zoneminder 1.30.2

Post by Steve62 »

I hope this is helpful to other people..

I was trying to setup 2 Chinese cheapy IP/ONVIF Cameras in Ubuntu as I had an old computer available and wanted to try Ubuntu out over Windows 10.

I'll let you all remember the hours of reading online documents required to do all of this and focus on what went wrong for me.

I followed the simple instructions provided in a link in this Forum.

But I got stuck at the bit where it said to go to this link:- http://server.ip/zm
Every time I tried to go there I was taken to another website:- [urlhttp://server.ip/zm[/url]. Don't go there or click on the link.

So I skipped that bit and moved on.
Little did I know at the time it meant to use my own Server IP Address/zm to log into the ZM Console. haha a novice error on my part.

Then it came to adding my Monitors (cameras), I tried for hours, downloaded the program suggested (ONVIF Device Manager) and it had no problems in finding my cameras but I still couldn't work out how to add them to ZM. I tried the Probe link but that didn't work. Finally I saw a link in the Add Monitor screen that said ONVIF and tried that.

Well blow me down....

It found both my cameras and added their details to ZM. They were shown as NVT Cameras with V100 Firmware

Now I ad all that done I clicked on the cameras name and got a blank screen with some record, play, pause, etc. buttons on it but no camear images at all.

So back to more Forum Posts reading....

I found the solution in a post that said the paths were mucked up and I had to add /zm to the /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/zoneminder.conf file like it said here:-

After you have setup your camera make sure you can view Monitor streams, if not check some of the common causes:

Check Apache cgi module is enabled.

Check Apache /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/zoneminder.conf ScriptAlias matches PATH_ZMS.

ScriptAlias /zm/cgi-bin /usr/lib/zoneminder/cgi-bin

From console go to Options->Path and make sure PATH_ZMS is set to /zm/cgi-bin/nph-zms.

So now both my cameras are working as they should in ZM.

Cheers

Steve